34

people started to arrive in front of sages eyes. one moment, it was just her and timothee and then there were at least fifty other people in the sizeable apartment. she had long since lost timothee and she missed him. she was clinging to him all week and now he had vanished.

crestfallen, sage sat on the sofa where her and timothee sat twenty minutes earlier. she knew no one so far. well, she knew of them and obviously there were some famous faces but she couldn't just go and speak to them. they were far too out of her league and probably wouldn't want her talking to them.

however, a weight collapsed next to her on the sofa. reluctant to turn round, sage simply slightly turned her head and saw a head of darkish hair and big lips that she instantly recognised, pete davidson. her eyes widened before she snapped her head forwards again. the comedy legend she had been slightly in love with for years. she knew him and timothee had been acquaintances at least but she had no idea he would be invited.

"weed?" he offered bluntly. ( haha, get it? )

"um, sure." she took the blunt and inhaled lightly as she hadn't smoked weed in a long time and didn't want to enter a coughing fit in front of pete davidson. that would be embarrassing. the woozy feeling crept up on her as she had lost her intolerance over the years. the last time she had smoked a blunt was over two years ago so quite a while. "thanks." she returned the spliff to him after taking one more hit as she didn't want to make anyone mad.

"no problem. you're timothees new girl, right?" sages eyes widened immediately.

"um- no, no. that's not me." she let out a short laugh before stifling it quickly at the absurdity of the comment.

"oh, i could've sworn it was you. sage, correct?" she nodded, not trusting her voice. "i thought you guys like made out or something on national tv."

"oh, um yeah that was, unexpected." she was never much of a stutterer but the questions had caught her off guard and her voice was betraying her at that moment in time.

"so it was you." pete raised an eyebrow and smirked at sage before chuckling to himself. the girl shyed away slightly, feeling out of her element.

"i guess so." she awkwardly let out a laugh and looked down at her lap. god, she was really making a fool out of herself.

"well, i'll leave you to it. see you around, sage." sage waved goodbye and tilted her head back on the sofa with a sigh. this was going great.

from her upside down perspective, she could see a figure standing directly behind her. she was definitely at the wrong level and was staring at a part of their body she shouldn't have been staring at but to be fair it wasn't her fault.

"hi timmy." she sighed, lifting her head up. she could tell it was him because of his long, skinny legs and the trousers he was wearing.

"hi sage. having fun?" they almost had to shout over the music and general talk in the room.

"not really." she said truthfully.

"oh, i'm sorry." he looked deflated. "do you wanna stick with me so you have someone?" the girl just nodded her head and grabbed timothees hand as she was slightly anxious. he could sense that though. one, her bouncing leg gave her away. two, she was cowered into herself- a sign she was uncomfortable.

the two made their way into the slightly quieter bits of the apartment, still holding hands. the electricity from the contact sent shivers down sages spine and also timothees. however, neither of them gave that away.

once they were in a quieter room -timmy's- they sat on the bed and turned on the television. sage put on gilmore girls as she often did. rory infuriated her but she loved lorelai.

"are you alright?" timothee asked sage, noticing she seemed off.

"um- yeah. i'm just a bit anxious. you know, people." sage shrugged and lowered her head while she fiddled with her hands to distract herself.

"hey-" he softly grabbed her chin and tilted her head to meet his. the action surprised both of them and was utterly unexpected. "you're fine, okay? i'm here and you're safe and no one can hurt you. the music can't hurt you, the crowd won't hurt you. you're safe." the words melted sages heart. he cared so much to know what triggered her anxiety and she loved that. it made her feel anchored which meant she was far from having a panic attack, at least for now.

"thank you, timmy." she whispered while leaning into his hand that had drifted to her cheek. timothee reached up and moved a piece of hair from sages face while stroking her head in the process. she had never felt more comfortable in her life. this boy was truly something else.

"anything for you." he whispered back. the boy leaned forward and left his lips on her forehead for a few seconds. both of them closed their eyes during the moment of intimacy. part of sage wanted to cry, parted of her wanted to scream in joy and part of her wanted to connect their lips yet she chose the first option. a tear slipped from her eye and made its way down her face like a river caved into the earth. the lips on her head moved to her cheek and kissed the salty tear away before he disconnected from her entirely. the two exchanged a half awkward smile and stood up. heading back to the party, they both felt elevated and relieved. why? they didn't know. it was just the way it felt right.