5.

OCTOBER

I wasn't certain how much we'd be able to stay away from Forks but I knew at some point we were going to be dragged back to the rainy town.

I could bet Emmett about it and say it'd because of Edward himself.

Right. Only if I talked to them.

I pointedly ignored Edward's advice last night as he took off on his own. Until I felt that they were safe from me, I wouldn't talk nor look at them.

That morning, we took our packed cars and we drove away to Alaska.

There was another Coven near there, the Denali whose diet was the same as ours. Carlisle called Tanya ahead, the leader of the coven to see if we'd be received with open arms. If that wasn't the case, we had to find somewhere cloudy or rainy enough to live and blend within humans.

Thankfully, that wasn't necessary as Tanya agreed to accept us as guests in her own home.

Tanya was the first to greet us as we arrived, a smile on her face as she hugged Carlisle and then Esme.

I skipped the pleasantries to which Carlisle softly explained I was having trouble with my gift which got the attention of one of the Denali members. Eleazar if my memory served well.

~8~

Settling inside one of the rooms with Rosalie as a roommate because hell no, I wouldn't want to deal with a very optimistic Alice trying get me to talk again.

Rosalie understood wanting to be alone sometimes. Sure, she and Emmett were inseparable since the moment he was changed but even the most cuddly couple needed their alone time.

Rosalie was flipping through one of my books in slight interest as I read one of my books when there was a knock on the door.

We both looked up seeing Eleazar at the door, hands behind his back.

"Sorry to bother" He apologized, settling his eyes on me which I flickered away to the wall behind his head. I looked at him through the corner of my eye, noticing the way his lips twitched slightly. "But uh, I was wondering if I could have a little chat with Elizabeth"

"It's Eliza" Rosalie said calmly but I knew her well enough to detect the false politeness and the defensive posture she took. It warmed my cold heart to see how much she cared about me even though I was a bitch these days "And what that chat be about if she won't respond anyway?"

"It's quite alright Rose" I said after a moment, quickly calculating a way of speech that I wouldn't accidentally compel her.

Rosalie eyed Eleazar and his pleasant little smile before giving a curt nod and a roll of her eyes.

I stood and without looking directly at the other vampire, I walked past him outside the room.

Eleazar followed behind slowly, hands clasped behind his back as he watched me curiously.

"The Volturi would kill for an exquisite and powerful gift as yours" Eleazar said after a while of walking through the snowwy woods.

I tensed at the mention of said vampires and my 'powerful' gift in the same sentence. "How would you know about my so called gift?"

"That it's my gift" Eleazar explained. "I can sense the talents on other vampires. And humans as well"

"That is why you were so... Useful for the Volturi as part of their guard" I realized.

I knew Eleazar had been one of them once upon a time. But he and his mate Carmen no longer felt they could deal with the violence they forced on others.

"That's right" Eleazar nodded slightly. "You're lucky we didn't meet when I was one of them. I would have brought you to them"

Indeed I was lucky I never met Eleazar when he was a Volturi. I didn't imagine myself being forced to be a Volturi. I'd be dead a long time ago.

"Doesn't explain why you wanted to talk to me" I said quietly.

"Our gifts don't rule us" Eleazar told me. "You're letting it rule over you. You fear it when it should be the other way"

I looked away toward the snowy trees. "Easier said than done"

Eleazar didn't say anything else in a while. Not until we were joined by someone else.

"Hey" that was Carmen, Eleazar's mate, flashing both of us a gentle smile. "I was talking to your sisters. They're nice" I nodded in agreement. They were. "I also wanted to talk to you. Get to know you better. That, of course if you let me"

I looked between them, seeing the kind expressions on both their faces and briefly hesitated before I agreed.

If Eleazar wanted me to believe my gift couldn't rule me, then I suppose I should let him try.