10.

The place the Volturi lived at looked modern yet with an old world charm around the structure.

The entire walk was silent and tense and not for once I had the urge to use my gift on them. The heat was building behind my eyes which thankfully were still under my sunglasses, which I didn't take off just in case.

As we stood in front of the Volturi, I knew I couldn't risk using my gift on them. At least not yet.

Several Volturi guards lined up the walls while the three heads of the Volturi sat on the middle of the room.

One of them, the one in the middle who I knew to be called Aro rose from his chair, greeting us like we were old friends. "What a surprise!" he exclaimed, red gaze settling on the human and the way she and Edward stood very close to each other, walking closer, taking Edward's hand, shaking it, looking behind him at the other Volturi whose names were Marcus and Caius, smiling slightly "Bella is alive after all. Isn't that wonderful?" Caius' response was a sour expression while Marcus looked like he could care less. Aro didn't release Edward's hand, staring at him in curiosity, "Her blood appeals to you so much it makes me thirsty. How can you stand to be so close to her?"

I glanced questionably.

No doubt Bella as well, but she looked confused too.

Edward's response was through gritted teeth, "It's not without effort"

Aro laughed, "I can see that"

Edward noticed the confusion on Bella's face, "One touch and Aro can see every thought I've ever had in my life"

Oh.

"You're quite the telepath yourself,  Edward" Aro praised, "Though... you can't read Bella's thoughts. Fascinating" Finally, Aro released Edward's hand, turning to Bella, reaching out for her hand "I would love to see if you are an exception to my gifts, as well" Bella hesitated. Aro laughed at her reluctancy, further extending his hand. Without choice, Bella accepted his hand. Everyone remained in silence as they watched Aro's expressions. Suddenly confusion swept through his face, letting her hand go, "Interesting"

Another gift that doesn't work on her.

Edward gave a barely perceptive nod at my thoughts.    

Aro walked back to his chair, sitting down, deep in thought, "I wonder if-"

"No!" Edward exclaimed, probably reading the Volturi's mind.

Aro smiled wickedly, continuing as if he wasn't interrupted, "Let's see if she's immune to all our powers, shall we Jane?"

Jane turned to Bella, her gaze intense and smug but Edward got in the way, getting him to become Jane's target, making a small smile appear in her lips as he collapsed on the ground, writhing in agony.

"Stop!" Bella screamed in horror.

Bella, Alice and I rushed to Edward's side.

"Jane, dear" Aro called sweetly. "The girl?"

Jane looked away. As soon as she did so, Edward's pain stopped. Smirking at Aro, Jane looked toward Bella, who slowly stood. Jane's gaze narrowed but nothing was happening making Jane's grin to falter and turn to anger and Aro's delighted laugh ran through the room.

Self-Control [2] (Twilight] जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें