story fragment // My Twist on Fate

My Twist on Fate | Chapter Four

My stomach lurched and I ran out to the nearest bathroom down the hallway. Strangely, there was no connecting bathroom. I cursed under my breath. It must've been the seafood I ate last night. I mean, it tasted delicious as I gobbled it down, but perhaps it had gone bad, unbeknownst to their personal chef. Or maybe they were just being cheap. Nah. The Amori family wasn't one to cut corners when it came to quality, not matter the price.

The vomit left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. I looked at my reflection in the shiny mirror. My complexion looked so much brighter since coming here. My hair was an absolute mess though. It was gnarled and I hated that. My hair always looked bad though, no matter how much I tried to make it look better. I was jealous of Talia. She woke up with picture perfect hair. Heck, she looked perfect without any effort. It's like she got all the good genes and I got all the bad ones. I brushed my hair, attempting to make it look somewhat presentable. I gave up and just threw it in a ponytail.

I ventured downstairs to get rid of the awful taste in my mouth. I flipped on the kitchen light and jumped back, startled by the figure before me. I stifled and screamed. "What are you doing up at this time of the night?" I hissed.

Jayden shrugged, obviously amused by my mini heart-attack. "I was bored."

"You were bored and you thought coming down here and eating frosted flakes was going to soothe your boredom?"

"Pretty much, yeah. What are you doing down here?" he asked, suspicious.

"Looking for a snack."

"You want some?" he asked, shoveling frosted flakes into his mouth.

"Sure." He got up and poured me a bowl. "Thanks."

"No problem, fatty."

"Hey!"

It was silent, except for the munching of cereal. "I scared you, huh?" Jayden asked, his dark blue eyes sparkling.

"Pssh, no. I just wasn't expecting anyone to be in here at..."I glanced at my phone. "One o'clock in the morning."

"Whatever, you know I scared you," he teased.

I playfully pushed his shoulder. "Shut up."

He grinned. He had a fabulous smile, I will admit that. I wasn't going to tell him that though, he had a big enough ego already. "Pick out a ring yet?"

I let out an exasperated sigh. "I wish. I just haven't found the perfect one"

"You will."

"Hrmm...will you help me?"

"Help you find a ring? I'd love to!"

"Tomorrow? Or rather, today?"

I nodded. "Sounds great."

We talked about our likes, dislikes, hopes, and dreams. It was like we were on a date, in his kitchen, eating frosted flakes.

"What's your favorite movie?"

"The Titanic, yours?"

He faked a gag. "You like that crap? I wouldn't have had you pinned for a girly-girl. I thought that was more Talia. Why do you like that stuff?"

"First off, it's not crap. Not even close. It's good, really good. It won like Emmy's and stuff. Second, don't judge if you've never watched! Third, it's like one of the greatest love stories of all time. It's a classic. I've seriously cried every single time I've watched it."

"Anyone can act." He puts on a fake falsetto voice. "I'll never let go!"

"That wasn't even close!"