3

"So, remind me again what this 'meeting's' about?" Sonic asked as they walked the halls of the castle, cold from the lack of life dwelling within its walls. 

"I doubt you're going to like it." Caliburn warned. Sonic made a sound of distaste. 

"Is this about how I talk again? Man, I told them I'm not gonna change how I talk just because they think it's 'un-kingly' or whatever." If Caliburn had a head to shake, he would have shaken it. 

“They will probably mention that, but no.” 

“Then what?” Sonic asked before opening the door to the room in which the royal advisors were waiting. 

Typically, during these meetings, Sonic was usually encouraged to only speak when a question was asked of him or if he were to ask a question of clarification. Most of the talking was done by either Caliburn or the royal advisors, most of the listening was also done by them, as Sonic would usually zone out and just have Caliburn summarize what happened. That day’s meeting was no exception. 

Sonic yawned and stretched as they left the meeting room. “What was it about?” Caliburn sighed with annoyance.

“You would know if you paid attention.” 

“Where’s the fun in that?” Sonic replied with a snarky smile. “So what’d they say?” Caliburn hesitated for a moment. 

“They... want you to have an heir. They’re trying to find you suitors as we speak.” Sonic stopped in his tracks. 

“An... heir? Like... A kid?” Sonic asked bewildered. 

“Yes, preferably a son.” Sonic was quiet for a long moment. 

“They do realize I'm like, not even seventeen yet, right?”  

“They are well aware.” 

“...And?? They don’t care?” 

“No, not particularly.” Sonic frowned 

“That’s kinda messed up, I’m way too young to have a kid-”

“I agree, they should have waited a few years at least.” 

“Where are these ‘suitors’ even coming from anyway??” Sonic asked.

“They will most likely be Princesses and Ladies from neighboring kingdoms I am to believe.” Caliburn answered helpfully. A look of mild panic crossed Sonic’s face for a moment as he had a terrible thought. “Is there… something wrong?”  

Sonic started hurriedly walking towards his room. “D’you remember those scars you asked me about one time?”

“The battle scars on your chest? Yes, but how are they relevant?” Caliburn asked, confused.

“Yeah uh- they’re… not from a battle…” 

“Then what are they from?” Caliburn questioned, still puzzled. Sonic thought for a moment on how to answer.

“Let’s just say… they’re from a Uhm, surgical… thing... “ Sonic said in a hushed voice. Caliburn looked somewhat surprised. 

“And you... survived?” he seemed genuinely impressed.

“What?? Of course?”

“You must have had a very talented doctor.”

“Well actually it was done by a friend- “ Sonic muttered as he closed the door to his quarters. He let out a relieved sigh. 

“I am still quite confused.” Caliburn announced. Sonic sat slumped with his back against the door. 

“I’m not-” he paused to figure out how to phrase his thoughts in a way that would make sense in the setting he was in. “I am a guy, but I wasn’t… born a guy?” He said it with a hesitation that made it clear that he had gotten bad responses from those words in the past as if it were something that he would say ‘just kidding’ after someone would react in disgust. “So…” He added hesitantly. 

“I see.” Caliburn said, with little indication of his impression.