Chapter Forty: Ni Kar'tayl Gar Darasuum

"I was able to talk to the boys before he destroyed my comms. They'll be looking for our signal," Omega informed Cass as the satellite dish on the screen lit up.

"Good. If they receive it, they should get here quickly," the Jedi answered.

The giant computer vibrated as the walls shook with one explosion—then another. Every detonation was followed by blaster fire, and Omega jumped at the reverberations.

"We can't stay, we need to to get out of here," Cass muttered as she grabbed Omega's hand and led the child out of the room and into the corridor.

Cass' gaze followed the disruptive sounds and found Shand and Bane fighting a few meters away, effortlessly pushing and pulling in a violence dance.

"This way," Cass hushed hurriedly and dragged Omega down the slanted bridge linked to the landing bay.

"I saw some ships and flight pods over there!" Omega pointed with her free hand towards the east.

"Those ships are probably dead now," Cass retorted. "We need to get to Taun We's shuttle."

Omega nodded and immediately began looking for the aid's ship, and when she found it, her little feet picked up speed. The girls pushed their legs to run as fast as they could towards the pristine white shuttle, their hearts raced and their ear drums thundered.

"Get inside, quick!" Cass ordered and reached out to open the entrance of the ship, only to be stopped just short of the panel.

"Oh no you don't!" the petite droid from before yelled out and slid in front of the ship's entrance, causing Cass to step back.

Cass naturally whipped her blade out from her side and pointed it at the Todo. "I will still slice you in half, now move it!" she threatened.

The droid stomped its foot midair. "I will not allow you to get away this time! My master—Oh my!" the droid yelped as Cass sliced the droid's left arm off, proving that she was one to keep her word.

She released Omega's hand and swiped at the droid with her fingers, sending it flying sideways. The hairs on her neck rose at the sound of Bane's boots igniting and heading closer their way.

"Get behind me!" Cass commanded and tucked Omega behind her.

Omega scurried to the Jedi's backside, observing in awe as Cass began deflecting Bane's insistent shots. Cass squared her shoulders as the pistol fire picked up, her lightsaber was only a blur to the bounty hunter—who was growing increasingly annoyed at his incompetency with every deflected blast.

The firefight let up for just as moment as Shand caught up and blasted a single shot at Bane, sending his hat flying off of his head. Bane spun on his heels and began shooting back at Shand, giving Cass and Omega another opportunity to get inside the ship.

At the first attempt to get into the ship, the panel buzzed incoherently, informing Cass that that the door was locked. The Jedi cursed under her breath in a language Omega couldn't understand then tried again. As Cass attempted every conceivable way to unlock the ship, the two hunters continued to fight tirelessly behind her. Every blast was shot and every punch was thrown, all leading to an almost inevitable stalemate.

The ship angrily buzzed in Cass' face with another failed attempt, and she was a moment's away from slicing a hole in the side of the ship itself. And maybe she would have if she hadn't heard a sharp grunt from behind and looked over her shoulder.