⠀ ⠀iv.

𝕮HAPTER 4
₊.ෆ*˚*⁎ෆ*˚‧₊₊.ෆ*˚*⁎ෆ*˚‧₊

a week had passed since the night of the movies. everyone kept in touch. ponyboy, monroe, and noel talked at school, then they'd all go and see johnny afterwards and see if they could find dallas around. everyone got along well and learned a lot about each other.

monroe sat on her porch, like usual but this time she was reading. ponyboy had recommended a few books to her that they had at the local library when he learned that she loved to read. ponyboy was always at the library. it was raining pretty heavily that day which calmed her down a ton. it hardly rained in tulsa, so days like these she enjoyed especially. whenever monroe's mother was home more they would both enjoy the rain together. sometimes they still do, but it's rare.

the rain seemed to get heavy, then light, then repeat. footsteps were coming from down the road but monroe didn't think to look up. it was one of those noises that people don't think about, like the creaking of her swing, which was creaking right now. the figure who was walked was visible in the corner of her eye, and without fully having to look, she knew who it was.

"johnny?" she said. her voice was kind of loud due to the rain muffling it if she talked at a normal pitch.

johnny waved to her, he had a small smile on his face. he tried to blink away the rain that fell into his eyes. monroe stood up from the swing and walked down her steps. she didn't care if the rain got her. she stood in front of johnny before speaking.

"why're you walking in the rain? it's pouring". she asked.

"i didn't have anywhere to go".

"c'mere". she linked her arm into his and walked him to her porch. they walked up the steps whenever she dropped her arm from his. she walked to the swing they had sat on together every time they were together and sat on it. she patted next to her for him to sit. he did.

"johnny".

"yeah?"

"you don't ever have to walk in the rain. you can always come here, you know?" she said. she didn't break eye contact with him, she was serious.

"i didn't want to bother you". he said. that's how he truly felt. he felt like one everywhere's he went, even with his best friends. no, he didn't think of it in every moment, but it was always in the back of his mind. but now, for once in johnny's life, he didn't feel like a burden.

"you're not a bother, please don't think that". monroe said. "we've only been friends for a week now, but i consider you a close friend. you can come by anytime".

he really didn't know what to say. "thanks, monroe". it was a small gesture but it was good to have. her heart jumped at the sound of him saying her name. she smiled and so did he.

"now". she started, closing her book and placing it on her lap. "you should stay here till the rain calms down so you don't catch a cold".

"it's not winter yet".

"the rain is still cold".

"oh". he had a soft laugh to it.

"actually did you know, the word 'cold' isn't a scientific term. it's actually supposed to be 'the absence of heat'". she started. "where were you going anyways?" monroe was curious. the only time she sees johnny walking the streets of tulsa is when they're in a group. normally dally is the one who's walking alone.