⠀ ⠀i.

𝕮HAPTER 1
₊.ෆ*˚*⁎ෆ*˚‧₊₊.ෆ*˚*⁎ෆ*˚‧₊

breezy days always seemed easy to monroe. this day was deemed as easy to her. the music playing from the rather-big-record player inside of monroe's home was playing loud enough for her and noel to hear outside through her thin front door.

"pass me a purple bead why don't you?" noel, the slim and tall girl asked. monroe shuffled for the color as noel watched. the slightly taller girl grabbed the bead and sat in the wooden rocking chair behind her. "i mean i don't get it, they never argue. parents are so exhausting. i feel like i'm in the middle of everything with them." noel's arms dropped to her lap while she rambled in tone. her words always seemed gentle even when she was stressed. coming from a gentle family, this was probably a guarantee.

noel's parents rarely argued, and have been in love since they first met. though when they did argue it was usually about noel. she never thought it was her fault, it wasn't, they just couldn't agree on another human which was a stress.

"well, good thing you're here, you can clear your mind and make yourself a bracelet." hoping to put a smile on noel's face, monroe gave her sympathy.

"i have a hook full of them".

"buy another hook then," monroe said along with a shrug.

"turn that crap down, guys," someone said just close enough to hear.

monroe's head turned to look for who the voice belonged to. "hey dallas" monroe started. "'hey lover' happens to be an amazing song," she said slightly louder than she had been talking before so he could hear her.

dallas walked up the three steps to her porch and sat on the highest step.

"what're you guys up to?"

"music and bracelets." noel replied with a soft smile. dallas, unusual for him, smiled back at her genuinely.

"what's up?" monroe asked him. dallas usually never stopped by. last time he did, he needed monroe to give him some spare gauze her mom had lying around. her mother was always off at work as a nurse. monroe didn't mind most of the time. she herself was an introvert but she did get lonely at times. at that time dallas had gotten in another fight, she could never remember which one it was.

"nothin'," he started "well, now somethin'. turn that crap off. i'm showing you a better place for music," he stood up from his spot on the steps.

monroe sighed before standing up. her and noel walked inside the house to shut off the music playing and turn off lights. inside monroe's home it felt wholesome. she had lived here for as long as she can remember and she never planned to leave.

the two girls walked out to meet dallas. they all began to walk to the place he decided they needed to go.

"man, the weather is so nice out today i seriously could have slept on the porch." monroe said, as she walked down her steps. she tilted her head back indicating she was tired.

"good thing you weren't, probably an ugly sleeper." dallas laughed.

"she is!" noel said. she nudged monroe's shoulder lightly while they both laughed. "seriously! she sleeps with her mouth open and everything."