-Twenty-Five-

The false psychiatrist is gone when Peggy vaults over the broken glass into Bucky's cell

The false psychiatrist is gone when Peggy vaults over the broken glass into Bucky's cell. The emergency lights dimly illuminate the space, and alarms start to blare throughout the building, red lights flashing overhead.

Peggy taps the device in her ear, activating the comms. "This is Carter, does anyone copy?"

Nothing answers her reply but static.

Cursing under her breath, Peggy races down the hall, knowing that the man couldn't have gotten far. Barely being able to see in the faint light, she prays that she doesn't run into anything or anyone.

Hallway after hallway, room after room, and nothing. Peggy swears again, not knowing where to go from here and not sure how much time has passed or where she is.

Trying the comms again, Peggy asks, "This is Carter, does anyone copy? The Winter Soldier is here, I repeat, the Winter Soldier is here!"

Static.

Letting out a frustrated groan, the agent heads for the nearest stairwell, deciding to just go up until she reaches the roof. Her steps clang loudly on the stairs and she's positive that if anyone was anywhere near the stairs they'd hear her. She finally reaches the roof, and has to use all of her strength to break the lock and shove the door open.

Squinting in the sunlight, Peggy pulls herself up and onto the roof, trying the comms again. "Can anyone hear me?"

"Carter, is that you?" The voice is fuzzy, but unmistakable.

"It is so good to hear your voice, Sam!" Peggy exclaims. "The psychiatrist they got to evaluate Barnes was a fake, and he activated the Winter Soldier. We need immediate backup!"

"Okay imma be honest, I got about half of that," Sam says, voice becoming clearer with every second. "But I found some stuff when I tried to find the bomber. A murdered psychiatrist and a mask that looks a lot like the guy that wrecked my car."

"The psychiatrist that came here must be the bomber, then," Peggy says, understanding flooding her. "Sam, how far away are you?"

"5 miles. I'll be there ASAP, Peggy. Do you have the bomber?"

"He shut off the power and got away when Bucky—when the Winter Soldier attacked," Peggy admits. "I tried to find him, but he's good."

"Focus on finding Steve," Sam says, "and I'll help while I can once I get there."

"Okay. I'll keep you updated," Peggy says, and flinches as, all of a sudden, two bodies come crashing through a window down below. "Actually, I just found them. I'll be back."

Peggy takes a running start and vaults across the gap between two buildings, ducking into a roll when her feet hit the concrete. She turns, racing towards Steve and the Soldier, pulling out her baton as she does so. With a grunt, she slams it into the Soldier's side as hard as she can, and he crashes into the ground. "Hey, thanks," Steve pants.