Chapter 2: Work

Jenna:
I spend my whole day off reading my book, and thinking about Eric. I wonder if he's going to call or is he's not going to call. Around one in the afternoon, my phone rings. I am hoping it is Eric calling to ask me out, but I become disappointed when I realize it's the clinic. "Hello," I say. "Hi. Am I speaking with Jenna Andrews?" I put my book down beside me. "This is she," I say. "I know it's your day off, but is there anyway that you could come in for a little bit today. We will pay you overtime if you work six hours. "Alright," I say. "I'll be there in about a half hour." I hang up and got out on my hospital scrubs. I make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as something to eat, grab a water, and I'm out the door. I live only ten minutes from the clinic. I pull into my usual parking space and climb out. I throw my crap in my locker and grab a chart from our chart rack. "Danny Smith," I call out. A kid stands up and walks toward me.
————————————————————————
On his Chart:
Name: Danny Smith
- Gender: Male
-Age: 18
-Birth date: 12/14/1987
-Hair color: Brown
-Eye color: Green
-Height: 5'9
-Weight: 157 lb
————————————————————————
"Follow me Danny," I day and led him back to examination room. I sit down at my desk and login in my computer. "Have a seat on the table," I tell him. I pull up his file with all his medical records. "What seems to be the problem today," I ask him. I turn in my chair to face him and notice he is fidgeting. "I have been throwing up blood for the last two days. When I told my parents, they didn't believe me, so I came here." I type everything he said in on the chart for the doctor. "Ok," I say. When I finish typing I stand up and walk over so I am standing in front of him. "I'm going to take some vitals ok?" He nods his head. After taking vital signs and charting them, I grab my stethoscope and listen to his breathing sound. Nothing sounds abnormal to me. After finishing my charting on him, I send the file to the doctor that will be taking a look at him today. "You doctor should be In shortly," I tell him. I open the top cabinet door and pull out a paper gown. I sit it beside him. "Change into that before the doctor comes ok," I tell him. He nods once more, so I leave and close the door. I head back out to the hallway and put the chart in the doctors stack of charts to go over. There are a few people standing at the front desk, so I head over and sit down. I log onto the computer and look at the girl in front of me. "How can I help you today," I ask with a smile? She looks afraid like she doesn't want to tell me. I stand up and motion for her to come back to a private room with me. "I think I might be pregnant," the girl says. "Would you like for us to preform an ultra sound to know for sure," I ask her gently? She nods her head, "yes." I open the door and send her with one of our physician assistants. I walk back out to the desk and make charts for everyone waiting at the desk. After a long six hour shift, I got home, ready for sleep.