Chapter Two

Hi all. I'm going to post chapter two. It's rather long. Hopefully it's not too long. And it has some--err action in it. If you don't like (err) action my suggestion would be to skip over it. Thanks! Keep reading. Keep writing. Stay passionate.

~~~~~~~~

Chapter Two: Dreams

Two months passed. Every morning Prentiss woke with a smile on her face. The nightmares were gone. In their place were dreams of beautiful people. Though she was happy to no longer look at those monsters, the dreams now seemed childish almost. Gorgeous people were always around her, talking to her, dancing with her, eating with her. It seemed they all liked her and respected her. Like she was a princess.

She’d take princess of prisoner any day.

School was finally over for her. She’d miss the days with her friends complaining about classes and other girls who weren’t in their close knit circle. What she wouldn’t miss was her friend’s constant questioning about her scars suddenly disappearing. They too had stopped asking questions about how the scars and wounds came about. After she lied to them saying she was an extreme tom boy who loved jumping off of random objects, rolling around on random machinery, and loved to fight with her imaginary cousins, they remained thinking she was wild. But as soon as the scars vanished and her skin was suddenly perfect, they were all very curious. It was expected of them. That didn't mean it was any less annoying.  

She herself didn’t know the cause. Trying to think of one made her remember those terrible nights when the beasts felt the need to be excruciatingly thorough with the scalpels, branding irons, and little chains that went around her throat and—

Stop thinking about it!

She forced her mind away from that and focused on her image in the mirror. She was preparing to go to a going-away party. One of her friends was accepted into a college in California. She looked at the makeup displayed on the counter in her mother's bathroom. Even if she did know how to put it on she wouldn’t dare. There would be too much crying tonight. Still, a little make up would go a long way. There was a reason she wanted to look a little prettier. There was someone she wanted to impress and tonight was the last night she could try. The going-away part was for him. She picked up the eye shadow. Would that help at all?

She grabbed the small brush and rubbed a little of the make up on it. She looked into the mirror, ready to try, and froze. Shock rendered her speechless. It wasn’t her reflection that she was staring at. It was the woman from two months ago. Prentiss would never forget those large dark eyes, her extremely golden hair or the perfection of her face.

“Prentiss, where have you been?”

She asked in a breathy voice which made Prentiss’ throat dry. The woman moved closer…as close as she could get being that the mirror was the barrier dividing them. Damn that mirror. Prentiss felt herself move closer to the mirror.

“I’ve missed you every day. Won’t you come see me?”

It wasn’t weird feeling desire towards another woman. Prentiss wasn’t homophobic but she certainly wasn’t a lesbian. She had only ever known herself to like boys (they didn’t really notice her but that didn’t really matter.) Yet the desire to be held in her slender arms and be kissed by her perfect lips affected her. She leaned forwards until her lips brushed up against the cool mirror where the her lips should have been. A mythical laugh came from her parted lips. 

“That won’t do Prentiss. You have to come see me.”

Prentiss wanted to respond but she was in a trance. All she could do was stare lovingly at the woman’s image. All she could think of was running her fingers through her long beautiful hair and lying beside her until she was fast asleep, only to dream of her and wake up to her the next morning. A seductive smile pulled at the corners of her lips.