The hours ticked by, and before I knew it, I began pacing the bedroom floor. My eyes sweep to the bedroom door every now and then. If I couldn't resist, I would move closer to the connecting door and strain my ears to hear.

Hunter wasn't in his bedroom. I would hear his footsteps in the hallway if he was here. His words echoed in my mind. He said mate again. My mom told me stories about it when we were in captivation. She said that my dad and her were mates and if I'm lucky, I'll find mine too.

But those were only fairytales. I don't believe that there was such a thing as a spiritual mate bond that connects two souls.

Hunter called me his mate.

My heart sped at the thought. Growling, I stomped over and sat on the edge of the bed.

It was late into the night when I heard quick footsteps thudding up the stairs. Someone was running. I glanced at Liam sleeping on the bed now. He had Hunter's headphones on. I could hear the classical music playing faintly in the background.

Suddenly, my bedroom door burst open. A tall woman walked in and slammed the door shut. She was breathing hard. Her body was shaking in fear or in shock? I'm not sure. She hasn't noticed me yet. She leaned against the door and took a deep breath. I don't know who she was but I growled a warning.

That jerked her out of her stupor. She let out a surprised noise before turning to look at me. That was when I noticed her appearance. She had light russet colored eyes and strawberry blonde hair. She reminded me of Catalina—a younger version of Catalina.

""I-I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone was in here," she whispered.

I continued to observe her. I haven't really seen any pack members because since arriving on this territory, I spent my days in the room. It was hard to step outside. I don't know who I would encounter. I don't know who to trust. The unknown woman shifted against the door. Was I intimidating? Why did she look out of place and uncomfortable? What caused her to run off in such a hurry? Was someone hurting her? All these questions.

Deciding that I should talk to her first, I swallowed and licked my dried lips before opening my mouth to speak but I closed it a second later. What if she was a bad person? I don't know, but I should probably tell her it was okay that she burst into my room.

"It's okay." My voice was hoarse from lack of talking all day. I tried talking once more.

"Are you okay?" I questioned. "Is someone hurting you?"

Immediately, she looked crestfallen. As if her world just came crumbling down just minutes before entering my room. I wondered what got her looking like that. Who had hurt her?

"I'm upset," she mumbled.

Her voice shook when she replied. I knew that something must have happened, but I also didn't want to pressure her to tell me. I mean, I don't want to talk about my ghosts of the past. Why would I ask someone else to talk? But I would protect her if needed. If she didn't want to talk, she didn't have to.

Plus, she looked like Catalina and if I recall correctly, Catalina has a daughter. Catalina isn't a bad person. I seemed to trust the old lady, surely, I could trust her daughter?

"My n-name is Katya," I murmured while watching her reaction. Her eyes blinked and then smiled.

"My name is—" She was about to tell me her name, but we were interrupted when the bedroom door slammed open.

It pushed the unknown woman onto the ground. Immediately, I jumped on her. Growling, I shielded her body from the threat that burst into my room. I don't know who it was, but Liam was in the room with me. My protective wolf instinct pushed me to take action.