Chapter 9

Hunter didn't come to see me the next day

 Hunter didn't come to see me the next day. When I woke up, I felt anxious for some reason. My eyes kept wandering to the bedroom door. When I heard the footsteps outside, I knew right away that it wasn't Hunter.

For some odd reason, I felt disappointed.

When the door opened, it was Catalina. She smiled the second she saw Liam and I. She carried the breakfast tray over and sat it on the bed.

"Good morning, you two," she greeted.

Catalina was a wonderful cook. Her food was always delicious. Every day she would cook something new.

Without realizing it, both Liam and my appetite has returned to normal. We didn't force ourselves to eat in large amounts, nor did we eat less. We ate until we were no longer hungry. Out there in the outside world, we could go days without eating. We spent most of our time running, and not staying in one area too long.

If we did get something to eat, it was mostly small games. If we were lucky, we might get something big. Eating raw meat in wolf form was fulfilling but it didn't give us the nutrients we needed. We needed to eat in our human forms too.

Glancing at the breakfast tray, there were fluffy pancakes, warm maple syrup, butter, bacon and sausages. Liam was already digging in.

"Thank you, Catalina," I said.

"Your welcome, my dear."

I picked up my fork, but noticed her staring at me. I turned back to her. Her eyes swept over my body before she looked back up at me.

"If you don't mind, my daughter has a lot of clothes. I think you are just about her height and size. Anyway, most of her clothes are sweatpants and sweaters. I could dig up a few and bring it over if you don't mind. Shame on our Alpha for not buying you anything new to wear."

I looked back down my body. I had on Hunter's old white t-shirt. It reached mid-thigh. They were big on me, I had to pull the ties tight to keep it around my waist.

I don't blame Hunter for not getting me anything. I don't talk to him and avoid meeting his eyes as much as possible. Plus, I don't know how long I will be staying here. Wearing someone else's clothes didn't matter to me. When Liam and I were on our own, we each only had a few pairs of clothes to carry on our backs.

I nodded my head and a small appreciative smile slipped on my face. Catalina was a complete stranger, but there was this strange connection I have with her. She had a motherly nature, and it reminded me of my mom.

After Catalina left, Liam and I tried to remain busy in the bedroom. Sometimes, he would draw pictures. I'll teach him math and spelling—anything that I knew which wasn't too much. I spent most of my life in captivation, but I still remembered going to school and learning.

Memories were distant, but I still remember features of my father's face. I remembered he would tuck me in at night and read me a bedtime story. There were still some good memories that I carried with me, although not many.