𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 ~ 𝖇𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖉 𝖇𝖗𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗

WHEN THEY LATER RECEIVED A SUMMONS TO THE WAR ROOM, Yelena stood by Jon's side as he read the letter from Winterfell. Though the news about the Army of the Dead was terrible, she felt her heart lift immeasurably at learning that the Stark children were alive and well.

"I thought Arya was dead." Jon said finally. "I thought Bran was dead."

"I'm happy for you." Daenerys told him, then frowned slightly. "You don't look happy."

He shook his head. "Bran saw the Night King and his army marching on Eastwatch. If they make it past the Wall-"

"The Wall has kept them out for thousands of years, presumably." Varys intervened.

Yelena shot him a look. "And how many times in the past thousand years have they launched a full-scale attack on us? Or any attack at all? Even if they can't get through, they can just go over. They don't tire."

"I need to go home." Jon told the queen firmly.

"You said you don't have enough men." her tone sounded reasonable.

"We'll fight with the men we have. Unless you'll join us?" his voice was irked and doubtful.

"And give the country to Cersei? As soon as I march away, she marches in."

"Perhaps not." Tyrion said thoughtfully. "Cersei thinks the army of the dead is nothing but a story, made up by wet nurses to frighten children. What if we prove her wrong?"

"I don't think she'll come see the dead at my invitation." Jon's laugh was humorless.

"So bring the dead to her."

"I thought that's what we were trying to avoid." Daenerys's brows furrowed.

He shook his head. "We don't have to bring the whole army... only one soldier."

Davos frowned thoughtfully. "Is that possible?"

"It should be." Everyone turned to look at Yelena. "I've come to believe that most of what I knew growing up was horse shit, but there were books about the walkers that may hold some truth. Supposedly, a wight is kept alive by the life force of the walker that turned it, so as long as its sire doesn't die..."

Her uncle nodded. "Bring one of these things down to King's Landing and show her the truth."

"Anything you bring back will be useless unless Cersei grants us an audience and is somehow convinced not to murder us the moment we set foot in the capital." Varys couldn't fail to point out.

"The only person she listens to is Jamie." Tyrion sighed. "He might listen to me."

His queen gave him an exasperated look as he turned to her. "And how would you get into King's Landing?"

His eyes moved to Davos, who seemed to think about that for a second. "I can smuggle you in, but if the gold cloaks were to recognise you, I'm warning you, I'm not a fighter."

"Well it will all be for nothing if we don't have one of these dead men." Daenerys said.

"Fair point." Varys looked to Jon. "How do you propose to find one?"

He looked uncertain, but it was Jorah who spoke next. "With my queen's permission, I'll go north and take one." she looked at him in disbelief. "You asked me to find a cure so I could serve you. Allow me to serve you."

"The free folk will help us." Jon stepped in. "They know the real north better than anyone."

"They won't follow Ser Jorah." Yelena warned.

"They won't have to."

The princess's head snapped around to stare at him as Davos spoke up. "You can't lead a raid beyond the Wall. You're not in the Night's Watch anymore, you're King in the North."