Chapter 110

'*Broken Strings - James Morrison*'

FRIDAY 07.02.2025

Day 25. Day 25 in this hospital. Day 25 that Tom spent in the same room. Day 23 since Olivia and Adam were born. Day 23 since our babies took their first breath. Day 13 since the first time we were able to carry our kids. Day 13 since my first breastfeeding. Day 2 until my husband's birthday.

Adam now weighed 2.7 kg and was 47.4 centimeters long. Olivia now weighed 2.6 kg and was 46.2 centimeters long. For the past 13 days, my husband and I spent most of the day in the small room behind the NICU with our babies. I was breastfeeding Adam 12 times a day and Olivia 11 times a day so my breasts were completely destroyed. When one baby was breastfeeding, the second one was in the arms and against their father's bare chest and so on.

When our babies were both done nursing, we had to put them back in their incubators and put them back in the NICU room before the other premature babies. Then we would go back out into the hallways since we no longer had a room in the hospital. And we would wait, we would wait for our babies' next meal while sleeping on a bench.

Tom had returned home a few times to pick up things or to visit our animals, but I had never once set foot outside this hospital. I didn't have the courage to leave our babies alone. We were both completely exhausted and took short naps whenever possible.

I couldn't have had a better husband by my side, he was simply the perfect father. He took care of our babies and me while I took care of him and our babies. Basically, we took care of each other while putting Olivia and Adam's needs first.

Today, we were finally going to be able to go home together. We would have liked to introduce our babies to Tom's parents and sisters but we were the only two people allowed in the NICU room. So, for the moment, my in-laws didn't even know our babies' names yet and had never seen them without a large glass window separating them.

Two nurses had taken us to a children's hospital room to do a final check on our two babies before we took them home. For the first time since their birth, Olivia and Adam were experiencing something other than the NICU room or the nursing room behind the NICU room. Even though they were still in the same hospital and only a few feet away from where they had spent their short lives, I felt relieved.

Once all the checks were done, our babies slept peacefully in their little cribs while we picked up all the stuff they would need at home. My man and his broken hand could not yet carry both babies at the same time, but he took turns holding our sleeping babies and kissing their foreheads.

My husband's parents were going to meet us at the hospital to take us home. I couldn't have wished for in-laws who were as available, as caring and as kind as Diana and James. They had taken care of their son, their grandkids and me during our entire stay in the hospital.

While waiting for my in-laws, I looked at our two babies who were sleeping peacefully. I was so in love with Olivia and Adam that I could spend a whole day just looking at them. Tom wrapped his arms around my hips and placed his chin on my upper shoulder. I let my back crash completely against his chest as I linked my fingers with his.

"We have to most beautiful babies on earth Love," he whispered in my ear, sending millions of shivers down my body.

"We do. Thanks to you because they both look exactly like you Lovey," I replied with all the happiness of the world.

"Are you kidding me? They are 100% like you princess. They take after their beautiful mother," he said as he kissed my neck.

"They look like the both of us then. We really made beautiful babies," I confirmed, turning around.