Fourteen.

"Eddie, I had sex with a stranger. I feel like a slut, all because I cant tell Buck how I feel"

After the events of the previous night, Kate had woken up that morning with a headache and deep regrets from the night before; when she finally plucked the courage to leave her room Buck was already gone, when she got to the station they were called away before she got a chance to talk him. Even during the call he stayed with Bobby the whole time, barely making eye contact with Kate.

The day rest of the pretty much went like that, Buck avoided her and she avoided him. No one raised any questions thankfully, no one but Eddie. Kate gave him the short answer which led to him inviting her to his place to talk about it.

"Is that why he was avoiding you all day?" Eddie asked

"Probably" she sighed, "we were so close to kissing and Taylor freaking Kelly stuck her now In"

Kate dropped her head into her hands groaning loudly.

Eddie pulled Kate's hand away from her face, revealing teary eyes "why didn't you just tell him"

"Because, it's buck okay and these feelings weren't always there. I mean I'll admit when I met him I thought oh he's good looking but I thought that about you too. Now suddenly I'm pining over him, I came here for a fresh start not a new relationship and especially not someone i work with. But I like him so much" she ranted

"You thought I was attractive"

"Eddie!"

"Sorry, sorry." He chuckled, "whats to say he doesn't like you back"

"I know. I just don't wanna ruin things but now I know he's having sex with Taylor"

"Meaningless sex" Eddie corrected

"It's still sex." She huffed, "ugh, I better go home. Hopefully the steamy red head will have left"

*

Kate walked into her apartment, she dropped the keys in the bowl and pet milo

"Hey" buck walked out, "where have you been?"

"Oh just at eddies, Christopher needed help with some homework"

"How did your night end up going last night?" Buck asked

"Well it was mission accomplished. Got laid" she cheered slightly, regretting it instantly.

"Was it better than mediocre?"

"Meh" Kate shrugged, "it was in a storage closet and he had a box of condoms ready so I wasn't exactly special"

"Wow. Standards are set so high now" buck joked

Kate scoffed "Oh you have no idea. I mean he basically whined and dined me all night"

"It's good though, I mean you getting out there more now"

"Yeah" Kate nodded, "what about you?"

"Oh. Just some fling" he dismissed

"Cool. Cool. I'm gonna go get changed and started that book" Kate said, finally leaving the room. Planning on never returning again.

It has never been that awkward with them and Kate really didn't want it to stay that way.

•••