07|

"Where to next?" Ray asked as he turned the wheel taking us into another deserted street

We had searched every nook and cranny for a clue, but nothing had turned up till now. I used to be good at this, back when it was my job. I knew how to find things and how to write things to sell it out.

"We need to see Mrs Colin," I said, crossing off another item on my long list. "She lives in a bungalow near the estate."

Mrs Martha Colin was the widow of late Mr. Colin, the former CEO of Leon's company. He had died in a mysterious accident a few months ago, falling from the roof of a seven-story building. The police said he was drunk, but I didn't buy it.

Leon had always admired Mr Colin. He had told me stories about his brilliance and kindness, how he treated his employees like family. Leon was one of them, until he died too.

"He never drank like that," Mrs Colin said, wiping her tears with a tissue. "He was acting strange in the last days, but he wouldn't talk to me about it. And now it's too late..." she broke into a fit of sobs.

Ray tried to console her, but I could tell she was broken beyond repair. I felt sorry for her. She had lost her husband, just like I had lost mine. Maybe she had it worse than me. She was alone in this big house, while I had Andi, Auntie, and Ray to support me.

"Why don't you stay here tonight?" Mrs Collin offered that evening. "I have plenty of room for you two."

"Thank you, Mrs Colin," I said. "That's very kind of you."

She smiled faintly. It was the first time I saw her smile.

"Leon used to come here often. My husband and he would plan their missions till late most nights. No matter how busy he was he always got a minute to have a chat with me, even helping my aged hands with house chores sometimes. What a nice kid he was!" She sighed the faint smile never leaving her face as she strolled down the memory lane.

I guessed I could relate. He was so good at stealing hearts.

The next morning I opened my eyes to the sound of birdsong. It took me a moment to remember that I was no longer in my own home. I felt a pang of longing for Andi's morning call and Mrs Monika's bed tea. I tossed and turned on the cold white sheets until I forced myself to get up.

I slipped into a light cotton gown that I had pulled out of my suitcase. I walked out to Collin's courtyard. The air was crisp and cool, even though it was summer. I wrapped the thin fabric around me as I reached the stone tea table in a corner of the green lawn.

I saw a figure walking towards me from a distance. It was Rayan. I could tell by his posture.

"I talked with Fin, the housekeeper. He said the same thing as everyone else. Mr Colin was acting strange before he left. He didn't tell him where he was going or when he would be back..." he said as he sat next to me on the bench. He looked cold too, wearing a thick t-shirt and a loose linen coat over it.

My head was throbbing. I barely slept last night. My mind was filled with questions that had no answers. This was like a puzzle with missing pieces.Or rather most of the pieces seemed to be burned or buried so no one could ever resolve it. The thought itself made me terrified. I had hoped to find some clues from Leon's office colleagues and friends. But all they noticed was a change in Leon's and Colin's behavior. And I had come here to get treated to the same stale details.

"Ah, there you are. I thought you had left..." a voice said behind us. We turned to see Mrs Martha coming towards us.

"Quite a cool morning, isn't it?" she asked as she sat on the opposite bench facing us.

"Cold rather. I'm sick of everything now." I said, feeling frustrated and tearful.

"Mrs. Martha, please sit down. We're at a dead end, ma'am." Ray's voice was gentle as he pulled me closer and let me rest my head on his shoulder. Mrs. Martha's eyes were full of pity as she stared at me.

She suddenly got up and said, "Follow me. I have something to show you." She walked briskly towards the back of the house.

Ray and I exchanged puzzled glances. What could she have?

She led us to a dark room that looked like it had once been an office. A faded portrait of Mr. Colin hung on one of the walls. The room was dusty but nonetheless orderly as well.

"I haven't been here since he passed away." Mrs Martha leaned against the door and sighed.

"Can we look around?" Ray asked, glancing about the place.

"Sure, sonny. Maybe you'll find something useful here. He used to keep records of his projects."

We searched every nook and cranny for a clue. We opened cupboards, drawers, and even his closet, but nothing turned up. The sun was setting when we decided to take a break.

"Dinner is ready, dear." Mrs Martha's voice ranged from downstairs.

"Just one more cupboard." Ray called back.

"I'm losing hope Ray." I felt a surge of despair wash over me. I slumped against a nearby cupboard and curled into a ball, hugging my knees.

I had failed Leon. I had failed us. I had failed to find the justice we deserved.

Ray sat next to me, his hand gently stroking my hair. He smelled like sweat and dust. He whispered in my ear, "Hang in there, Sa. Things will get better."

He reached out with his other hand and fiddled with the wooden drawers next to us. He was looking for something, anything, to give us a clue. He suddenly sprang up his warmth leaving my side.

"Sa, look at this!" he cried out.

He held up a small cupboard drawer that we had missed. It was almost bare, except for an old diary with a leather cover.

"Colin's?"

"I think..."

He opened it carefully. The pages were brittle and brown. Mr. Colin's neat handwriting filled them with words.