Christmas Banquet

Merry Christmas! I've been inspired by the Christmas season to write a one shot during this festive time. Also, you the reader and Howl aren't official in the beginning of the one shot. Enjoy!

Y/N: Your Name

F/C: Favorite Color

H/C: Hair Color

H/L: Hair Length

Your Pov:

I watch Howl galivant around the living room excited, with a letter from the palace in hand.

'I can't believe it. Now that the war is over, and Sullivan has retired, Howl has been invited to the palace for a winter ball- and he's excited about it! I wanted to stay in on Christmas eve and enjoy it as a family, with him, Markl, Heen, and Calcifer. I suppose if the Witch of the Waste and Prince Justin wanted to show up too, that would be fine. But this is not!'

His voice breaks my train of thought.

"Isn't it wonderful Y/N, a royal banquet! Not to mention, I get a plus one."

"That's great-" I trail off.

'A plus one, is he implying that he wants me to go? No way! That sounds like a nightmare. A huge crowd of hoity toity people who can't get over themselves, probably talk of politics all night, and awkward dance proposes... to Howl. Who am I kidding? No one would ask me to dance.'

"Would you like to go?" Howl asks me, big blue puppy dog eyes adorning his face. I sigh.

"Fine, but I don't want to be out all night. Markl will want to get up early the next morning to see what Santa brought him." Howls nods.

"Right. You have my word, Y/N."

Time Skip.

I stare at myself in the mirror. Howl had gotten me a dress for the occasion in my favorite color, F/C. It was the puffiest dress I've ever seen adorned with lace and jewels that go with the color of the dress.

"This is too fancy for me to wear." I mumble to myself, as I mess with my H/C hair. It's done nicely in a way that fits my H/L hair.

"Are you ready to go?" Howl calls through my door. I bite my bottom lip and stare at myself for a second longer.

'I have so many regrets.'

"Y/N?"

"Coming!" I yank the door open in a nervous rush. Howl is standing right there. He stares at me for a second. My thoughts begin to race.

'Does he hate it? Do I look ugly in it because of my figure?'

"You look incredible. You'll definitely turn heads." A heavy red adorns my cheeks.

"Thank you, Howl." I reply quietly.

'The only head I want to turn is yours.'

Howl's Pov:

Y/N opens the door quickly, after I call for a second time. I freeze, my eyes lingering on her. The dress looks stunning on her. It hugs her body just right. The F/C fabric of the dress really brings out her beautiful eyes, and her hair style tops off the outfit rather nicely.

'Wow-' I think briefly. I notice a hint of worry in her eyes and a realization hits me. 'I have not complemented her. All I have done is stare at her and drool like a dog. How improper of me.' I chastise myself.

"You look incredible. You'll definitely turn heads." I tell her, and she relaxes.

"Thank you, Howl." She answers, shyly.