chapter 2

They had finished dinner, the camp was celebrating, people were drinking and relaxing by the fire. There was some subdued laughter, but most were still too horrified by the events of Mt Weather to feel truly joyful yet.

Clarke and Bellamy were sitting next to each other leaning against a log by the fire. Bellamy was exhausted but afraid to go to sleep, afraid she wouldn't be there when he woke up...

Clarke sat next to Bellamy, afraid to go to her tent. Afraid to close her eyes and see the faces of the dead swim before her eyes. Clarke shivered and Bellamy put his arm around her drawing her close. He regarded her for a moment and said softly, "You aren't alone."

They sat in silence a while longer as people drifted to their beds one by one, Bellamy finally got up and pulled her to her feet. "Come on, lets get some sleep." When they reached her tent she balked.

"I'm scared Bellamy. " she confessed "I don't want to be alone."

He looked at her for a moment, then tugged her hand in the direction of his tent. "C'mon princess, you can stay with me tonite." Seeing her hesitation he joked, "I promise I don't bite, unless you want me to." He added with a smirk.

She looked at him seeing the humor in his eyes along with something else she couldn't quite pinpoint and nodded silently following him to his tent.

~~~~~~~

Those first few weeks were the hardest. They both had nightmares. They both took turns comforting the other when they woke up terrified. They both were afraid to sleep alone and as a result, they both continued to share Bellamy's tent. They knew they needed each other to get thru the pain, fear and guilt of what happened.

They weren't the only ones.

Kane hardly left Abby's side.

Wick helped Raven hobble around camp with a gentleness that he hid underneath his smarmy attitude. He helped her build a stronger brace so she could be more self sufficient.

Monty and Harper, tried to help Jasper deal with loss of Maya, they were making progress, but it was going to take time.

Lincoln had remained here with Octavia and Bellamy had to finally admit that his little sister had chosen well. Lincoln was not only capable of keeping her safe, he had helped turn her into a fierce warrior who could take care of herself.

By the third week the camp had settled back into a routine.

Bellamy and Clarke continued to share his tent, although at this point it was not romantic. If Abby was aware she said nothing, perhaps realizing how much they needed each other.

~~~~~~

As the morning drew near, Clarke stirred and opened her eyes. She turned in Bellamy's now familiar embrace to study his features. The strong line of his jaw. The dimple on his chin. The freckles that splattered the bridge of his nose. All of the things that made him Bellamy. All of the things that made her love him...

Wait! What..?!

Before she had time to pursue this train of thought Bellamy stirred. He pulled her closer and whispered in her ear, "You ok princess? " His deep voice groggy with sleep.

"Mmmhn" she responded afraid to say anything else.
He snuggled closer, spooning with her and burying his face in her hair while she wondered if he was really awake yet...

She felt her heart start to pound and a blush cover her face as he breathed in the scent of her hair.

After a minute she heard the rain start to fall bringing a further chill to the air, unable to stop herself she snuggled closer pulling the blankets over their heads.

Bellamy responded by kissing her neck.

She holds her breath as a blush creeps up her face.

Bellamy awakens to find himself kissing Clarke on her neck as they lay snuggled together.

Am I dreaming? I could get used to this.

Then he realizes that Clarke isn't breathing.

Shit! She's awake!!!

"Clarke..? " he manages to choke out.

"Yes..?"

"I'm....sorry?" He said uncertainly.

"About..?" Clarke decides to play dumb on purpose just to torture him.

"Uhhh. This?"

Clarke smiles then starts to giggle and pretty soon she is having a laughing fit.

At first Bellamy is a little pissed that she is laughing at him until he realizes the humor in the situation. He finally smirks and turns her over forcing her to look at him.

Once he has her attention he plants a kiss full on the lips.