The Dream

You're on the ground and your body feels so heavy, like you're sinking into the earth. You wonder, "What happened?" You hear muffled voices, but can't make out any words. There's a lot of people around you.

Sasha says, "Don't you think you went a little too far?!"

Levi answers, "she's supposed to be the best of the best...or so I've heard."

Armin adds, "is she okay?" He kneels down next to you trying to wake you up. Sasha shakes you a little and all you do is mumble something. Jean says, "captain...I think you killed her..." Levi scoffs at the idea and Connie looks at Jean saying, "no he didn't she'a fine! Right Sasha?.."

Sasha yells into your ear, "y/n! Are you okay?!"
You stir awake and squint in discomfort saying, "what the hell are you guys screaming about." You raise your hand to your head and feel a sharp pain. Armin asks, "you alright?" You are dazed and not sure what is happening but then you remember the fight between you and Levi. You sit up glaring at him.

"With all due respect sir, what exactly was that for?!" You ask.

Levi says, "what? I thought you were supposed to be good in combat." You groan at him then stand stumbling a little. You feel blood trickle down your face. Levi looks at you expressionless as you get up close to him and say, "again."
Sasha says, "what?!" as Armin adds, "y/n you are in no shape to fight him."
But being as stubborn as you are, you get in a stance ready to fight. "I don't lose...not to anyone." You stare at Levi with determination to beat him this time. Jean laughs saying, "isn't that a little arrogant y/l/n?" Levi sighs and gives in. "Whatever, let's just get this over with." You swing first hitting him in the jaw and he sends a punch into your ribs. You're already sore and tired from before so you realize that you don't exactly have the upper hand. Knowing that, you decide to go with one of your techniques as you hook your leg behind Levi's and push him down to the ground in a choke hold. He grabs your arm trying to pull you off, but fails to do so. You can feel his heartbeat on your chest. You count to three and it's over. You stand up and the others cheer for you. You offer your hand to Levi, but he rejects it and says, "I guess we're even now." He looks at you with another one of his usual glares which sends a chill down your spine. Why does he always have to do that? Your new friends pat you on the back. Eren looks at you smiling and says, "y/n you better be careful Captain Levi doesn't take losses well." You respond, "Well neither do I...clearly." You both laugh and everyone goes back inside.

Everyone's getting ready for bed and after being tired out from the busy day you fall asleep quickly. Your sleep is interrupted however by a memory, a dream, a nightmare, whatever you want to call it.

You're in your old home. Your mom, dad, and brother are with you. You can smell the bread your mom had just made and it warms the house even more than everyone's smiles. You look at your mom and say, "I wish-"

There's loud screaming. The ground feels as if it's moving. What the hell is that? It's like footsteps almost. The roof of your house is torn off and it's a titan, at least that's what you think it is. It towers over you looming with a violent aura. You'd never seen one before until now. It grabs your parents as you and your brother scream. All you can do is sit in horror as it devours them. You can still hear the sounds. You're shaking, you can't breathe, but you grab your brother's hand and fly out the door with him. You're both crying. He's hyperventilating and you probably are too, but you don't take the time to notice as another titan approaches. This one is smaller, but it moves weirder. Its arms flail as it runs and it has a terrible smile. You see others fleeing and try to follow them, but the titan charges and before you know it, your brother is ripped apart just like your parents. You stare in shock. Why can't you move?! Why can't you do anything. If only you could've saved them. Why didn't you save them?! Why-

You jolt yourself awake breathing quickly as your heart races. You feel beads of sweat falling down your back. You realize you were crying. You look around to see if anyone noticed, but they seem to be fast asleep. You get up to get some water. Trying to wash away the memory. You tried to forget about that day. But, you couldn't no matter how you tried. You dreaded sleeping because your family haunted you there. But it was your own doing you thought, "if I saved them, this wouldn't be happening. Why couldn't I save them?" Your hands shook as you brought the water to your mouth. You walked outside and sat down staring at the moon.

You hear creaking of the floorboards, footsteps you guess. Your knees are brought up to your chest with your arms wrapped around them. You glance back to see who is coming towards you. Levi. You say, "hey.." he walks over next to you sitting down. You're surprised by his actions, but you don't mind his being there. You could use the company right now. He responds, "hey." There's silence for awhile. The cold night breeze flies through your hair and onto your face. The silence isn't awkward in fact it's actually nice. Levi asks, "couldn't sleep?" You turn to look at him giving a sad smile. "No"

"Me neither"

More silence

"Hey Captain.."

"You can call me Levi."

"Oh. Okay Levi, um I was just wondering why you wanted me on your squad."

"Tch." He messes with his dark hair. "Why does it matter?"

"I don't know. I guess it doesn't. But I just wanted to know."

Levi quietly sighs leaning back on the wall behind us. His chin angled up to the sky. His eyes seem more blue than the usual grey with the stars on them. He finally says, "take today for example....I need someone like that. Someone who doesn't give up. Even when they should."

You laugh a little. "Yeah I really don't know when to give up do I?" He lets out a breath of air quickly, almost a laugh. The stars make your eyes shine brighter too. Levi looks at you for a second thinking about why he chose you. You pretend not to see him doing that however. The night is quiet and calm.

•••

Hehe 👩‍💻 anyone there? BAHAHA