64. my love will clothe your bones

Start from the beginning

It was perfect. This was perfect; the privilege of settling down with a man as good as Mobius. When Loki thought he was meant to spend eternity alone, unloved, Mobius walked into his life. And even if Loki tried pushing him away at first, the way he did everybody else, Mobius stayed and Mobius never gave up on him.

"Hey," Mobius softly said. He slightly nudged Loki, because he wasn't sure if his boyfriend was on his way to drifting off, and didn't want to startle him. Loki murmured a moan from his throat, still hadn't moved away from Mobius's comforting shoulder.

"What is it?" He all but purred, when Mobius hadn't said anything further than that.

"You know..." Mobius sighed, like he was trying to tread lightly, and that's when Loki knew; something was on Mobius's mind. He lifted his head up so he could get a better look at his lover's face. Something was definitely on his mind.

"I didn't forget," he said. It was all it took for Loki to know what Mobius was talking about. "I know you don't want me to make a big deal out of it, or to even talk about it. Your birthday... it's today,"

"Oh," Loki mouthed, before adding a quiet, "It is," because he wasn't sure what else he was supposed to say.

"And I was gonna humor your wish, because I respect that. I really do. That's why I wasn't gonna bring anything up at all. I know you haven't had... the most healthy perspective on birthdays, and I understand why,"

Loki looked at him. He wanted to ask if they could not talk about this, and he knew, if he did ask, Mobius would stop. For some reason, he listened to Mobius.
(And maybe, the reason had something to do with Loki knowing Mobius always had his best interests at heart. He didn't ever have to worry about getting hurt, when Mobius was around.)

Mobius paused for a short while. For a moment he almost looked like he regretted bringing the subject up and risking ruining the mood, when they were happy. At ease. "So I was gonna give you this tomorrow, or maybe next week, so it's not too close to being a birthday gift. But... I don't know why, I'm sorry if I ruined this, but I thought you deserved to know someone care. I do." Mobius looked Loki in the eyes. He had a fond smile on his face as he pulled out a tiny box from his pocket.

"Mobius..."

It was a silver ring attached to a necklace, as a pendant of sorts. With 'Always' engraved on it.

"May I?" He asked, almost like he was... afraid. Afraid Loki would get mad. But Loki only looked at him with glassy eyes, and then he nodded, wordlessly, before moving to turn his back toward Mobius. So Mobius could wrap it around his neck.

"I... thank you," Loki said. His hand unconsciously touched the ring, now hanging around his front, from his neck.

"I know it's... not that fancy or anything. You're probably used to something... more luxurious on Asgard. But I wanted to give you something —"

"Mobius," Loki cut him off. He turned around and was looking at him now. "It's beautiful. This is beautiful," he said. The smile on his face was the exact same one that made Mobius fall for him in the first place.

Mobius smiled back. He looked like he was in thoughts, for a moment, like he was afraid he was pushing this too far. But then his hand came to rest gently on Loki's face. "Do you want to... celebrate? Just the two of us,"

And Loki shifted his gaze downward. He was still smiling, but Mobius could see a glimpse of sadness behind his eyes. That's when he wished he should've kept his mouth shut. "There's nothing to celebrate," Loki said, only barely above a whisper.

"That... I disagree," Mobius's voice was soft. Kind.

Loki looked back up at him. Mobius's hand never left his face, it felt warm. Comforting. Loki never wanted it to go away.