Chapter 22 - Make You Laugh

Later the Night...

Y/N: "Mother? I'm home!"

No response. You sigh and head to your room- Suddenly, the sound of loud footsteps come rushing towards you.

Mum: "How dare you!!!!"

Y/N: "W-wha-"

Mum: "You are such an embarrassment!"

Y/N: "What are-"

Mum: "You barely got past round one of the Sports Festival!"

Y/N: "I-i'm sorry... I-"

She cuts you off with a slap. Your cheek throbs in pain, tears welling in your eyes. She continues to glare at you without remorse. You get up and run out of the door. You rub your eyes, trying to be able to run without being blinded by your tears. You keep running until you reach the beach. Your legs give out and you fall to the ground.

Y/N: "D-damnit...!"

Denki: "Wha...? L/N?! What are you doing? A-are you crying?"

Y/N: "K-Kaminari...?"

Denki: "What's the matter...?"

He frowns and kneels next to you, putting a hand on your shoulder.

Denki: "What's going on...? Who made you cry...?! I'll... shock 'em... or something..."

More tears form in your eyes.

Denki: "Gah! Please don't cry! I... I... Gosh darn it... Please..."

He takes your hands in his.

Denki: "Don't cry."

He was usually such a jokester. It was almost weird to see him so serious.

Denki: "If you cry, I'm totally gonna cry. And I'm a really ugly crier. Trust me, it's not something you want to see."

Y/N: "I... I..."

Denki: "C'mon... turn that frown upside down! Whatever happened... it isn't worth your tears. I know that for sure."

Y/N: "I-i... It's..."

Denki: "Take your time, Beautiful."

Y/N: "I.... I promise, it's nothing..."

He sighs and shakes his head.

Denki: "You can't fool me."

Y/N: "I... My mum.... slapped me..."

You hear him suck in a breath.

Denki: "I... man..."

He thinks for a moment before reaching out to wrap you in his arms.

Denki: "Look... I'm not the best in these situations... but... I want to help... not just because I think you're cute... or that I want to impress you... It's... It's because seeing you like this... I just... I don't want to see you this way."

Y/N: "..."

Denki: "..."

He lets go of you and looks into your eyes, a serious expression on his face.

Denki: "Why did the rooster cross the road?"

Y/N: "Wh-what?"

Denki: "Why did the rooster cross the road?"

Y/N: "U-uhm... I don't... know...?"

Denki: "To cockadoodle do something."

You couldn't help it. You let out a small laugh.

Y/N: "Wh-what? That had nothing to do with the conversation."

Denki: "It made you laugh, didn't it?"

Y/N: "Well, yeah, but-"

Denki: "Then it was totally worth it."

He gives you a big goofy grin and pats your head.

Denki: "Did I tell ya you have a really cute laugh?"

You return the smile.

Y/N: "Thank you, Kaminari... I needed a little cheering up."

Denki: "Of course, M'lady."

You let out a small giggle.

Y/N: "Well... I'm going to head back... Thank you, seriously. I mean it."

Denki: "Of course! And hey, if you need any more cheering up in the future, I have plenty of bad puns to share."

Y/N: "I might take you up on that offer."

Denki: "Anytime, beautiful."

You head back home to face your mum.

Mum: "Y/N, where in god's name have you bee-"

Y/N: "Mum."

She stops for a moment, her face twisted in anger.

Y/N: "I know... thing have been rough for the past year... After what happened with dad... I can understand why you'd be like this. But that doesn't make it okay."

Mum: "Don't you dare bring your father into this...!"

Y/N: "Mum. Is this what dad would've wanted? For us to fight? For us to hate each other? He loved us both. He wouldn't want this."

Mum: "..."

Your mum stares at the ground. You feel tears begin to well in your eyes again.

Y/N: "Do... do you still love me?"

Mum: "... You... your father was a good man, Y/N... his death nearly killed me, too. He wanted you to be a hero so badly... he wanted to see you succeed. I've always pushed you to your limits because I want that wish of his to come true... I guess... I pushed you too much... All I want... is for him to be proud of his family... and I did the opposite..."

Y/N: "Mum...?"

She pulls you close and hugs you.

Mum: "Y/N... I'm sorry... I... I'll try to be a little easier on you."