He got the pint and two spoons, not bothering with bowls since he knew only the two of them would eat out of it anyways.

"Yummy!" Frances cheered, eating the chocolate frozen dessert.

After finishing, they returned to the living room, where Alex laid on the couch, Frances jumping on and off of his chest. It really hurt Alex but he didn't mind, since Frances seemed to be enjoying her time.

Alex didn't let it last for long, though, not wanting it to hurt too much. He laid her down with him and turned on Moana for her to watch.

And it was nice. Alex was relaxed, waiting on their food and enjoying his time with his daughter. He couldn't ask for anything better.

Except for Eliza to be there with them.

But she was gone. And as heartbreaking as it was, Alex knew there was no coming back.

-

"Aye! Mama! You can't be just dressin lil man like this!" John said, taking off the graphic t shirt Eleanor had put on the child.

Eleanor sighed, shaking her head. "He likes it, John. And it's fitting for his age." She argued with her son.

"Nah, mama. He can't be walking around in a shirt that says "rawr-tastic!" John mocked.

"My boy's gotta stay looking fresh." He said, putting Philip back in the street style wear, similar to John's outfit.

Eleanor sighed, shaking her head.

John put the gold chain around Philip's neck, nosing. "Hell yeah! You look cute lil man!" He said.

Philip started to cry loudly, always hating the feeling of the chain around his neck. He tried ripping it off, sobbing.

"See, John!" Eleanor scolded, picking up her grandson and taking the chain off. "There you are, baby." She said sweetly, kissing his head.

Philip sniffled, laying his head on Eleanor's shoulder. "Love nana." He said softly.

"Nana loves you too, baby boy." Eleanor smiled, kissing his head.

"Aight, mama. We gotta go." John laughed, taking Philip out of her arms.

John kissed Eleanor on the cheek. "I'll bring him back later tonight, aight?"

"Alright, baby." Eleanor smiled. "Bye bye, Pippy!"

"Bye, bye nana!" Philip said, giggling and waving.

"Bye, mama." John said, carrying Philip out of his mother's apartment.

"Papa!" Philip squealed.

"What?" John asked, walking down the road with his son in his arms.

"Nana gave me a happy meal with chicky nuggies and-and I gots a new toy and it shoots these circles but I lost all the circles and-and Dino ate them!" Philip gasped.

"Well shit! Dino ate them?" John said, shaking his head.

"Yeah Dino was hungry so he ate them!" Philip laughed, thinking it was hilarious.

"Damn- nana didn't get Dino a happy meal too?" John asked, walking quickly. He didn't like walking with Philip. It was too busy and Philip would sometimes get overstimulated from it. That's why he tried to keep conversations going with their walk, not wanting Philip to think about all the people or the noise.

"No, nana didn't!" Philip exclaimed. "Dino's stomach was going "GRRRR!" He said, holding the stuffed dinosaur in one hand, holding onto John with the other.

John kept keeping Phillip talking to distract him until they made it to the small apartment they lived in together. It was only one room, which had John's bed and both of their clothes in a dresser since Philip would almost always cry to come to John's bed anyways.

"Can I sleep with Papa?" Philip asked when it neared his bedtime that night.

"Yeah, you can lil man." John said, picking him up. He was in a onzie that Eleanor had bought him. It had little trucks all over it.

John laid down, Philip curling to his side.

"Where's mama?" Philip asked, sucking his thumb.

Martha, Philip's mom, was a bit of a wild card. She left right after Philip's birth, leaving John alone with him without any discussion. A few months later, she came back and said she wanted to try, only to leave after a couple months later. It began to be a cycle where she would stay a while only to leave.

She left just a couple weeks ago.

Philip wasn't close with his mother, since she was so in and out all the time.

John knew he shouldn't keep allowing her to drop in just to drop out. He knew it would hurt Philip.

But Martha had a hold on John in a way even he couldn't understand.

She was his addiction and couldn't help but let her back in everytime.