Chapter 9 - Harsh Conditions

The base was coming along slowly, since the conditions on Hoth were harsher than expected.
Some parts of the equipment they brought along, like the speeders, didn't work in the cold. It was a disaster.

When Nomi entered the icy hangar bay she heard the mechanics swear loudly. She couldn't help it and grinned hearing the swear words uttered in different languages. Slowly she made her way to her X-wing, dressed in a wadded flight suit when someone tapped on her shoulder. She turned her head and gasped.
"What are you doing here, Gavin?" She asked, when her gaze fell at a black haired young man who was sporting a beard now.
Gavin Darklighter flashed his big sister a smile.
"I could ask you the same, sis," he responded as he pulled Nomi in a hug. "I've been with the Alliance since a few standard months and a member of Rogue Squadron."
The young woman frowned.
"So they even recruit children? Or you must have lied about your age. Do our parents know you are a rebel?"
"Take a guess, sis," her little brother said with a grin.
"They don't know, am I right?" The young woman asked and shook her head. "You're too young to fight."
Gavin let go of her and chuckled.
"Wedge thinks otherwise, Nomi. I just came back from a successful mission. And you are right, our parents don't know. It's better this way."
Nomi nodded her head thoughtfully. She turned when someone cleared his throat behind her.
It was Wedge with whom she had become friends during the weeks she flew under his command. He had also begun to train her as a commando, as every member of his squad was.
"I knew that it would be a surprise, Nomi," he said with a lopsided grin.
"Do you have any idea how young my brother is, Commander Antilles?" she asked Wedge, addressing him with his rank. The pilot wasn't very happy about the fact that her younger brother was also fighting. She thought he would be with their parents back on Tatooine. Yes, it was a surprise, but not a good one if it came to her.
The commander shrugged and cast a glance at Gavin who seemed to be embarrassed because of his sister. Nomi stared at her friend, clenching and unclenching her fists.
"It isn't right, Wedge and you know it! Gavin has lied about his age! You must send him home!"
It was visible that the commander had difficulties staying calm. Nomi was his friend, but besides this she was also under his command. She had to respect him and his decisions.
"It isn't your place to question my decisions, Ensign Darklighter," he retorted and glared at the woman. "During the Clone Wars some of those fighting were far younger than Gavin. Your brother is an excellent pilot. This is what counts to me. As long as a person can reach the rudders with their feet, I don't care about their age."
Nomi realized that she had gone too far when Wedge addressed her formally. She swallowed hard.
"I apologize, Commander. I overstepped my bounds," she finally said with a now calm voice.
Antilles nodded his head.
"Apology accepted, Ensign. Now after this issue is settled I can tell why I was looking for you. I'm seeking volunteers for an upcoming mission," the commander continued. "We need some spare parts which we'll get on Nar Shaddaa for sure. For this mission I thought of Gavin, Tarik and you, Nomi. I'm pretty sure as former smugglers Tarik and you know your way around there."
The young pilot had listened without any visible reaction, before she answered. To take part in the mission would give her the possibility to have a watchful eye on her brother.
"You can count me in and I'm pretty sure that Tarik will take part too," she said without hesitation. Maybe Wedge was right about what he had said if it came to Gavin. It wasn't about age, but motivation and skills. The Alliance hadn't the luxury of being picky if it came to its recruits. But it was about her brother and not some person she didn't know.
"Oh, if it comes to Tarik, he agreed already and he was sure you would also take part. It seems you two know each other very well. We'll meet tomorrow at 0800 in the command center," Wedge said before he turned and left the hangar bay.
Nomi watched him leave before she turned her attention back to her brother.
"I'll see you tomorrow, dear brother," she said with a faint smile and took her leave to head back to her quarters.

Nomi opened the door and entered her quarters. Her quarters which she hadn't to share with anyone else, except for Fuzzy who stubbornly decided to keep her company. The astromech was plugged in for recharge and silent. The pilot looked over to the droid and breathed a sigh of relief. She has never seen such a talkative droid except for protocol droids.
There was no difference between the icy hangar bay and her quarters. It was the same temperature which let her shiver slightly. There was a small heater in the room, but it would be unwise to use it. So she walked over to the cooking plate to make a Blum fruit tea. It didn't take long and she sat down at the small table, putting her hands around the steaming mug of tea in front of her. So they would travel to Nar Shaddaa. The Empire was unable to get a foot in the door so far, so it should be rather safe there. She wondered if Dash would be on the Smuggler's Moon as well. Dash Rendar, a mercenary she had met back on Tatooine and fell in love with.
But it was months when she had seen him the last time. Maybe the love wasn't going both ways. She took a sip of the hot tea and sighed. Her being with the Alliance now would complicate things even more. But there was no way back, this she owed her late cousin Biggs who gave his life for the freedom of the galaxy.
She took another sip of tea before she took her blaster to check it. Nomi wouldn't go without this backup. Even when there wouldn't be an Imperial presence, Nar Shaddaa wasn't a safe place at all. Basically it was a melting pot of the galaxy's scum and villainy, like Mos Eisley on her home planet Tatooine.
When Nomi had finished her preparations and the tea, she set the alarm, laid down on the cot and closed her eyes. Even though it was cold it didn't take long and she fell asleep.