vii.

07 | BONDING

Pietro was sprawled out on the couch, legs propped up on one armrest and head on the other. His arms were folded comfortably underneath his head as he watched the strange sponge walk across the screen. It was the same thing on the mac and cheese box.

Lila was situated on the floor. She laid on her stomach, her feet kicking up and down with a smile on her face. Lana and Wanda were finishing up drying the dishes, although Lana was focusing on the television as well.

Meanwhile, Cooper sat on the stairs, clicking away at some game on his Nintendo as he peeked over at the show while Nathaniel was sound asleep in his cot upstairs.

"The krusty krab pizza! Is the pizza! For you and me!" The character sang.

"I don't get it," Pietro stated simply.

Lila ignored him, singing along.

"You wouldn't," Lana commented from the kitchen.

"What is this?" Pietro furrowed his brows.

"Spongebob Squarepants," Lana answered casually, swiping the towel over a plate.

"Huh?" None of this was clearing anything up for Pietro, at all. "He is a ... sponge?"

"Uh huh."

"In pants ...?"

"Yep."

"And his friend is a starfish ...?"

"Yes."

"So they're underwater?"

Lana chuckled. "That's the idea, yeah."

Pietro paused, staring as the sponge's face became horribly deformed and he shouted the last lyrics of the song. They didn't have these things in Sokovia. Not at all. His brow crinkled once more.

"Then how is there pizza?" Pietro questioned.

Lana chuckled and then halted suddenly. Pietro glanced up at her to find that the kryptonian had stopped her drying and had a face that matched Pietro's confused one.

"Huh. I, uh ... I never really thought about that ..."

Soon Lila fell asleep and Lana carried her up to her room, leaving Pietro on the couch while Wanda cleaned up the living room and packed away all the toys. Once she was done, she turned to Pietro.

"Cooper is asleep on the chair in his room, I'm heading in there now. I'll check up on Nathaniel on the way too. And I think Lana is in her room," Wanda informed.

Pietro nodded, giving his sister a kiss on the forehead before she slipped past her brother. The speedster then stepped through the screen door and inhaled the brisk night air. Out there on the farm, or as the speedster liked to call it, Clint's land, the sky was a wide open black canvas with tiny specks of white paint glittering here and there.