Chapter 115 - The Family of Blood, Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Right. Priorities," he mumbled, glancing out the window in the direction of the village and sounding almost disappointed as he reluctantly released her. "I suppose I should go take care of that." He bent down and swiped the now empty fob watch off the ground, sliding it into his pocket with one hand.

"What are you going to do?" Lyssa asked, taking advantage of even the minute distance now between them to shove down her muddled feelings and collect herself, though she doubted there was much she could do for her heated cheeks.

His eyes grew cold, though his touch remained gentle as he guided her forward. "They wanted the Time Lord. I'll make sure they get him," he said grimly, pulling open the door and guiding her outside, hand warm against her back even as she felt a chill run through her. Martha and Timothy were waiting outside, huddled together on a wooden bench propped up against the house, and they looked up when the door opened. There was no sign of River, though Lyssa doubted she'd left.

"Mr. Smith?" Martha asked cautiously.

He shook his head, eyes fixed on the plume of smoke rising from the village in the distance, and she collapsed back on the bench with a sigh of relief.

"What are you going to do?" Timothy asked curiously, eyes bright with interest as he studied the Doctor.

The Doctor frowned darkly as he released Lyssa. "What I should've done from the start. Stay here. I'll be back shortly," he called over his shoulder, setting off through the woods at a brisk pace.

"J-Doctor!" Lyssa hurried after him, struggling to keep up in her skirts with his long strides. He slowed, turning to face her with a closed off expression that made her bite her lip - she knew that face. Still, he let her approach, softening a little when he met her worried gaze. "What are you going to do?" she asked again, stopping a few feet away.

"They wanted to live forever. I'm going to ensure they do - and that they live to regret it," he told her, eyes fierce. Another explosion shook the earth and his face only grew colder.

"Why?" she challenged him.

He looked taken aback. "Because that's what I do?" he said slowly. "I'm the Doctor, it's kind of my job?"

"Really?" She looked up at him, struggling to keep her expression clear. "I must've missed that part of your promise. 'Never cruel or cowardly; never give up, never give in... And make sure they live to regret it?'"

He looked away, jaw clenched tight.

"They need to be stopped, yes," she agreed quietly, slowly stepping closer to him. "But why this way? Why the Oncoming Storm, and not the Doctor?"

He struggled for words, looking everywhere but her eyes before finally biting out, "Because they made you cry."

She closed her eyes shut tight for a moment, forcing down the swell of emotions that had been threatening to spill over for the past few days. "If I'm hurt..." she started in a soft voice, finally crossing the last few feet between them and raising her hands to cup his cheeks. "Don't you think I'd need a Doctor more than a storm?"

He raised his hands and held them over hers, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath before letting it out slowly. When he opened his eyes again, the rage was gone, replaced by the determination and kindness that was supposed to be there.

She beamed at him. "Now there's the Doctor I know."

He offered her a weak but genuine smile. "Thank you for reminding me," he said quietly, squeezing her hands gently before pulling them away from his face and releasing them. "I need to go take care of this. Will you wait for me to come back?" he asked, eyes searching hers.