"Yeah, long distance usually works better when the other person answers" he sighed, "I just thought I could get another woman's view"

"You mean another woman who moved kinda view?" Kate asked

"Maybe.."

"Okay" Kate started, "her mom died, where they close?"

"She took care of her. Every day, I'm not sure for how long."

"See.. abbey was always needed, she was needed at work by whoever called 9-1-1 and than when she got home she was needed again. Her life pretty much revolved around helping everyone but herself" Kate explained

Buck audibly nodded, giving a "mhmm" every few seconds

"So, her mom dies and suddenly.." Kate paused, she took a second as she felt the impact of memories "suddenly she wasn't needed, she's wasn't someone care giver and that first morning..- waking up alone and not having the day to day routine.. it's- Well it's enough pain to tear right through you."

"Oh" he exhaled.

"So her fleeing the country, it was a trauma response. Or just that she finally had time to live but, if she committed to you and to long distance. Maybe you should set a time limit before you take yourself away from the situation."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure abbey was wonderful but I don't think she was in the right headspace to commit to long distance and her pulling away is just easier - although I don't personally agree because not confirming if you are still together or not is kinda.. Bitchy. So give yourself a few weeks to a month, if you hear from her less and less. Take it as your answer"

"Wow" buck exhaled, "that was a lot better than my advice and a lot more than I expected"

Kate chuckled, "what did you expect."

"More of a, don't worry you're just overthinking"

"Sorry. Brutal honesty is my way to go"

They went on to talk some more, Kate talked about how he was adjusting to her life in LA. Buck had went on to explain about his sister, her ex husband and how scared she was. Kate gave him a few pieces of advice on how to talk to her, she promised her to keep it to herself, not knowing if the rest of the crew knew. .

They talked for hours, Buck even mentioned Abby a few times and Kate listened as he did.

•••

Kate sat at the island, taking a bite of her food she sighed happily "Bobby, this is the best thing I've tasted since I moved here"

"Kate what would you be if you weren't a fire fighter?" Bobby asked

"Hmm" she hummed "you know, I'm not sure. I've always wanted to be a firefighter"

"When did you realise?" Bobby asked

"I was about 14"

"How did you know?" Hen asked

"my dad died in a house fire" she said causally, taking a bite of her food.