"You coming?"

"I don't know you."

"So?"

"So. . .?"

"So, you're in my house. You're the stranger here."

I purse my lips, unable to frame a response.

Mr. happy-go-lucky is grinning at me, Those big puppy eyes boring into mine. He looks so young when he smiles, but I can tell he's older than Lyle and Tate.

A mischievous expression flashes across Colten's face.

Holy shit. What is he thinking?

"If you're not gonna come," His tongue traces his lips, "Might as well let him know you're in here, right?"

Colten's hand grips the third door that leads into the hallway, opening it slightly just enough to hear Lyle and Tate's voice slip through. A bolt of hot heat suddenly surges through me, stinging the back of my neck, flowing all the way up behind my ears, so I hear my blood pulsate.

The charge of energy erupts from my skin, lunging my body towards his swiftly with no thought of mind. I reach around him, grasping the door shut on either sides of his torso. With my hips imprisoning his against the door, each growing second the smell of his soapy cologne drifts up my nose reminds me I've fully closed the distance between us.

Colten's lips part but my hand instinctively clamps over them, taking no chances that he might signal Lyle and Tate, sabotaging my whereabouts.

"The hell are you doing?" I scowl lowly at him, allowing my anger to steal the volume in my tone.

I feel his mouth smirk against my palm, his eyes playfully drinking me in.

He clasps my hand, pulling it down to say, "Teasing you. follow me" Colten ushers me into his all-white room before adding, "Wait here."

I watch in a frown as he disappears into the hallway, feeling the faint pressure of where he gently pressed my shoulder down as if to keep me in place.

Gosh, what is he doing?

Allowing my curiosity to get the better of me, I tippy-toe over to the door, moving with caution as I put each foot down with silent care. I paused against the door, firmly pressing my ear against it, and listened.

"You think I'm stupid, huh? I know she's here," This was Lyle's voice I was hearing.

"Look, we had dinner, then I drove her home. It's that simple, baby bro."

I roll my eyes. I'd know that conceited voice anywhere.

There's a long pause, and I can make out the sound of Lyle groaning.

"Then where is she, huh?" Yeah, Lyle's definitely pissed now. "Cause she sure as shit isn't where she's supposed to be."

Lyle's tone is like a ticking time bomb, and Tate's impetuous desire to constantly aggravate him could set it off at any moment.

"And where is she supposed to be?" I can hear the sarcasm in Tate's voice, "With you, haha? Nah, man, you're with Cora now. you made your bed, now go lie in it, dick."

As much as it pained me to admit, Tate was right.

I hear Lyle scoff and clench my eyes shut, cringing. Tate Carver has a death wish. I was certain I would hear some sort of retaliation from Lyle, But Colten's presence must have had a strong influence over him.

"Alright, that's enough, cut the high school drama bullshit. Take it elsewhere. She's not here. you know what today is, and I'm sure as hell not letting neither of you jackasses ruin it." Colten's chastisement is a blistering cold shard of ice, one that freezes all sound and movement in its path.

I became anxious as the seconds went by, and my scalp prickled at the uncertainty. It was slow at first, but I then heard shuffling, followed up by footsteps fading away.

Geez, what's happening? minutes passed, but soon enough, the door opened, and I sucked in a wary breath but quickly let it go as Mr. gray sweatpants and Tate came into view in front of me, discarding my speculations.

"Lyle's gone," Colten says simply, grinning as If he's pleased with himself.

I feel my body relax at Lyles absence, "Thank you."

Colten nods, and my eyes dart between his and Tates. a hint of a smile lingers around their lips, but it doesn't reach their vivid blue eyes, and for a fleeting moment, I see the similarities between them.

Holy crap. what are they thinking? Feeling somewhat out of place, I shift uncomfortably.

Colten's first to break the silence, "You hungry? I'm making breakfast if you wanna join."

My jaw locks against the sudden heave of my empty stomach at the mentioning of food, not remembering the last I ate. But I have bigger problems than my stomach right now. one being my parents.

"I can't," I decline, eyeing Tate, "You should take me home."

"I'll take you home," Tate smirks arrogantly at me, "after You eat."

I step closer to him, "You think this is a joke? Take me home, or I'll walk."

I wasn't buying the sudden guileless his face was now trying to sell. I knew better. He didn't care whether or not I ate, the only reason he wanted me to stick around was linked to some scheme, and I sure as hell wouldn't gift him the opportunity.

Tate and I seemed to be having a stare-off competition, internally arguing with our eyes, but the stubborn glint I held drowned out his, and I quickly won.

Tate sighs and exchanges looks with Colten, his face falling into a hard unreadable expression as he nudges past me.

"By all means," Tate's voice is blank behind me, "Walk home." His footsteps disappear just as quickly as his concern for me eating was.

I may have won the silent argument, but I should have known Tate wouldn't give in that easily to defeat. He would make me suffer. I groan and try to prepare myself for the long walk home as I go to pass Colten, but he unexpectedly clutches my elbow, stopping me.

"Hey, don't listen to that douche bag. you can't walk forty miles." Colten halts my scattered thoughts, "Look, come downstairs, you don't wanna eat, that's on you, but I kind of have to. I'll drive you home myself if you let me."

I glanced up at him, raising a questionable brow as I thoroughly considered his offer. Those big sapphire puppy doe eyes boring innocently into mine. These were the kind of eyes that wrap around you and melt you from the inside out.

I could feel that effect surging through me, but it wasn't enough to make me agree. It was the fact I didn't have it in me to walk forty miles, my impulsivity didn't run that deep, and so I found myself giving in.

"Okay," I whisper, and his eyebrows rise playfully as if he's double checking my answer, "Sure, yeah."

Colten grins a full display of famously annoying Carver dimples as I follow behind him down the familiar marble staircase and into the large kitchen that is extremely sleek and modern. I found myself sweeping the kitchen for any signs of Tate, but he was nowhere to be seen, leaving me with the idea that maybe our silent argument from earlier was enough to make him up and leave.

I wasn't complaining, though. the further he's away from me, the better.

✿ ✿ ✿

These chapters are lowkey giving nothing I'm sorry lol <3 I promise chapter 10 and 11 will be better :)

Please vote if you guys enjoyed this chapter!