Chapter 2

They didn't have class with Angie. Ornello had come to tell them that she was in a meeting. Actually, all the teachers were in that meeting. Which meant all the students were free.

Leon, Diego and Marco had stayed in the singing room while the other students had left. A few minutes later, Andres and Broadway had come to join them.

Andres was making them listen to the new demo he had composed. As he listened, Leon watched the movements in the hall through the glass wall. Suddenly, Violetta, with Francesca and Camila, walked by. Violetta saw him and gave him a shy smile before she and the two girls disappeared from his sight.

That girl liked him.

He liked her.

Maybe he should ask her out?

"Do it," Diego said at his side.

Leon turned to look at his best friend. The boy was staring right in front of him.

"What?"

Green eyes met his. "You are thinking of asking her out, right?"  Diego said. "Do it."

Leon started to shake his head. "I don't think..."

"Stop thinking, Leon." Diego snapped. "And do what you wanted to do weeks ago."

Obviously: Ask her out.

"He's right."

Leon's head turned to the other side of the room. It was Andres who spoke. The guy, as well as Marco and Broadway, was staring at him, and judging by their expression, had been listening to the conversation. Leon hadn't noticed when the music had stopped.

"The last time you couldn't because Francesca had to leave." Marco told him. "Now nobody's leaving. So do it."

Yeah, Leon remembered. When he had finally mustered up his courage to ask her out, Violetta had other things on her mind. Like stopping Francesca from leaving the country.

Francesca's dad was going back to Italy, taking his daughter along with him. Francesca, of course, hadn't wanted to leave-she had a life here, friends, boyfriend-but the man hadn't listened to his daughter. Neither to Violetta who had gone and talked to him. Well, at least, tried to.

It was not until Francesca's dad had seen what the studio meant to his daughter that he had finally accepted to let her stay here. Now, the girl was living with her uncles.

When Leon showed no response, Diego shoved a hand through his hair in frustration. "Dude," he said. "If I knew you would take so long to do such a simple thing, I would have asked her out when I had the chance."

There was a silence in the room and Diego looked up. He found his four friends staring at him, eyes and mouth opened, at this revelation of his.

"C'mon guys," he told them. "Don't look at me like that. Violetta's a nice girl. Who wouldn't like her? And I'm no exception. But when I saw that my best friend," he said looking at Leon, "had his sights on her, I backed down. And anyway," he added as an afterthought, "now that I think of it, it wouldn't have worked between us."

Leon looked away, letting this revelation sank in.

And then it hit him.

He looked back at Diego and asked, "Wait! What do you mean "saw"? You knew about Violetta when I told you, right?"

"No. Before that. It was so obvious," Diego added, his attitude and tone clearly showing that he was getting bored with the conversation.

"Obvious how?" Leon asked slowly, frowning.