Part Four

Part Four

Next thing I saw was a toilet bowl. That was all I could remember. The rest of it was all just a blur and i couldn't even think straight. How could this girl say she was Lewis's girlfriend when i was his girlfriend?

'AMYYY!!'

BANG! BANG! BANG!

'AMY OPEN THE DOOR!'

I was so dazed that I had completely forgotten that there was a whole world behind the toilet door. I got up to my feet and just stood there for a second with my eyes closed taking three deep breathes.

In...Out...In...Out...In...Out

I leaned over to flush the toilet. As soon as the whooshing noise started the banging from the other side of the door stopped. It was dead silent for a second, so quiet that I could have sworn I could hear the laughter that entered the shopping mall toilets as someone opened the entrance to them. The silence didn't last for long of course before Jessie started her non-stop interrogation.

'What happened? What was that? Who was that?'

The questions kept going and going at such a speed that she didn't even leave me enough room to take a breath and even answer one of them. And I sure as hell wasn't going to shout the answers to her from the other side of the door. So I unlatched the door and swung it open, and just as I expected she was leaning against the door, almost falling over when I opened it. I grabbed the shoulder of her jacket pulling her into my cubicle and quickly locking the door behind her. Jessie didn't move. She just stood there in shock, both hands held out in front of her as if I was about to attack her.

I took a step back and turned away from her. I was so stressed out and tired from this all, it was making me dizzy, and I need to sit down. So I flipped down the toilet seat lid and sat on top of it. As if it was a reflex, I lowered my head into my hands as if the overload of information was making my head weigh 100kg.

A minute had passed by...

It wasn't until I felt someone trying to push something through my hair that had created a curtain around my face, did I look up. Jessie was kneeling in front of me, one hand on my knee and the other holding up a tissue to my face. And when she opened her mouth to say something to me, her voice was soft and quiet, laced with worry that was clearly portrayed on her face.

'What happened babe?'

She was wiping away at my cheeks with the Kleenex tissue ever so softly, it felt good. I could feel the tissue tracing over the streaks of wetness that had appeared on my face. When I opened my mouth to answer her question, my voice came out quieter than hers, but croaky at the same time, as if I had been crying all night.

'That girl.'

She nodded understanding who I was talking about instantly.

'She...She said she was Lewis's girlfriend'. My voice had faded out by the last word and I could feel a sudden stinging in my eyes as they began to water again.

'Oh...' was all she said. I was expected more than that! Maybe some of her screaming and shouting now? But instead I got nothing, which wasn't making me feel any better about the situation.

'I think you should sort this out. Call him now and ask him to meet up, it's best to do it in person. You know that whole read his facial expressions crap...but I'm sure it's nothing' she added hastily as she saw the expression of fear on my face. I didn't want to confront him about this again. I mean I already tried before what good did that do? But she was right how else would I ever going to find out the truth.

I carefully took out my mobile and dialled his number. I was about to put the speaker to my ear when Jessie grabbed my hand and told me to put it on speaker phone.

'I want to hear what he says'

I quickly pressed the loudspeaker button and held out the phone so that both of us could hear. He picked up after 3 rings.

'Hello?'

'Hey Lewis, what are you doing?' I tried to act nonchalant when I spoke to him, hoping that he couldn't hear the slight croak that was still in my voice.

'Umm...nothing just umm...at the mall'

'Oh that's great! I'm at the mall too maybe we can meet up. I did want to talk to you about something.' This was perfect; if he was here right now maybe I could sort out this whole mess today.

'No no' he said quickly, a little too quickly. 'I'm umm... just about to leave'

I heard a faint voice in the background.

'What are you ordering?'

Although it was faint I could hear that this was a girl's voice because it was a higher pitch than any guy I know.

'I have to go. Bye.' And before I could even say bye back he hung up.

I and Jessie looked at each other in shock.

'He's with her' I said. 'Right now. In the mall'

'Well then' Jessie said with a slight smile on her face. 'Let's go and meet them'

She smiled widely and gave me a quick wink. I didn't like where this was going.