The Ultimate Decision

Start from the beginning

"If you guys want to sacrifice us, then do it. But you must leave this place while you still can," Thomas implored. "You must escape before it's too late," 

None of the boys said anything. They were all silent. 

"I don't understand," Teresa continued to sob. "Why would WICKED send the three of us up if we were with them?"

"It doesn't matter why they did," Edward shook his head. "What matters is what we did," He was heartbroken with shame. His brother clutched his hand tightly. 

There was a long moment of silence before Newt spoke up. "It doesn't matter. Any of it," His words brought everyone's attention. "Because the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. Those Creators took care of that,"

The boys shared glances. Some agreed. Others protested. 

"Shut it!" Newt shouted, silencing everyone. "The only thing that matters is who we are now and what we choose to do right now!" he turned to the brothers. "You guys went into Maze and you found a way out," 

"But if it wasn't for us, all these boys who died here would still be alive," Thomas argued. "You have no reason to want any of us alive," He felt like he had disappointed Newt immensely, betrayed his friendship with him.

"Maybe," Newt agreed. "But it wouldn't change anything if we banished you two,"

"You honestly think we're gonna let them live?!" a boy protested. "Edward killed Gally! Thomas built this prison! They're trying to trick us into walking to our doom!" 

"You have to leave this place," Edward implored loudly, silencing everyone. 

"Edward is right. If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They will keep coming back until you're all dead," Teresa agreed. 

"It's either we die here or risk our lives escaping," Newt spoke up. He stood up and to everyone's surprise, he joined Thomas's side. "I'm with them," 

Out of the three, Thomas was the most surprised. 

"So am I," Chuck stood up and went to Edward's side, smiling up at him. Edward saw the commitment in his eyes and it lightened his heart up a bit. 

Minho joined. And Frypan too. Then Winston, Jeff, Clint...over twenty more. And finally Alby. 

The brothers could not believe it. Even though they had worked with the people who did this to them, they still looked up to them. They trusted them. 

Those who didn't join walked out. 

"So..." Alby spoke up as he looked at the brothers. "What's the plan?" 

The brothers shared knowing glances at each other. "We escape," they declared together. 

"Minho, do you still have all those maps in the map hut?" Thomas asked.

The two brothers, Minho, Newt and Teresa jogged through the damaged forest and towards the map hut which miraculously had survived the past two nights. 

"What has this got to do with escaping?" Minho asked.

"We need every map you made. What you've marked down could give us clues," Thomas started scurrying through the papers and drawings engraved on wood.

"Well don't spoil my collection," Minho argued. 

"Less talking! More searching!" Thomas argued.

Everyone dug through everything that Minho and the Runners had recorded. They found numbers in sequence order and maze drawings with some lines being marked in colours of yellow or red instead of white.