The Ultimate Decision

Start from the beginning

Edward sat up. "I'm sorry Chuck," he looked at his hands and then his body. "The venom..."

"You were right. It wasn't doing anything to you,"

"What about Thomas?"

Teresa twisted her head to the side. Thomas was beginning to wake up. Newt was with him, holding his head. "Easy. Easy," he soothed. He helped Thomas sit up. When he did, Thomas gave him a strange look, as if of recognition. But after an instant, he turned away. Guilt was written over his face. 

"What were you two shanks thinking?" Minho berated standing in front of both of them, eyebrows and arms crossed. "Did you two not think?"

Thomas and Edward stared at each other, both reflecting on how idiotic they had been last night. 

"We needed to get our memories back," Thomas spoke. "It was the only thing to figure out what this is all was and how we could get out of here,"

Alby stood up and he sat down. "Tell us everything you two remember. And don't keep any secrets," 

The brothers were sitting in the centre again. Everyone sat on the stair seats which were messy with broken sticks. Teresa sat with them per Edward's request. Everyone stared at them intently.

Thomas could see how nervous his brother was. "This place. It isn't what we thought it was. It's not a prison. It's a test. It all started when we were kids. It started with WICKED. They were scientists, doctors who experimented on us our whole lives," 

Everyone stared at them intently. 

Edward spoke next. "We were taken from our homes, our families when we were kids. They gave us new identities, new names from famous people and scientists. They began experimenting on us for years. Then soon as we grew older, everyone started disappearing. One after the other every month like clockwork,"

"Sending them up into the Maze," Newt said. 

"But not all of us," Thomas declared again with a grave voice. 

Everyone stared at the two sitting down. 

"What do you mean?" Minho asked. 

The brothers turned to each other with guilt-stricken looks. They knew that they had to tell everyone in this room the truth. 

"Guys...we're one of them," Thomas spoke up gravely. 

"The people who put you here...we worked with them. We've watched you all for years. And we've nothing but help those people monitor you all," Edward shed a tear. "They raised us to be pawns in their experiments," 

"I knew this maze and how to find a way back to the Glade - because I designed it, I invented it," Thomas informed gravely. 

"And I created those Grievers, the original ones. That's why they didn't attack me. Why they did everything I said. And why the venom didn't make me turn savage," Edward said next. 

"The entire time you've all been here...we were on the other side of it," 

Edward's eyes shifted to Teresa "So were you, Teresa,"

"What..." she breathed hoarsely. 

"We did this to them," Edward sounded like he was in tears of genuine guilt. 

"No," Teresa shook her head, shedding a tear. "That can't be true,"

"It is. I saw it,"

The three could do nothing but share looks of guilt. They were all so paralysed that they had done this to so many boys, let alone the new friends they had grown close to. Whilst his brother and his now-revealed best friend kept their heads hung down, Thomas turned to address their audience again. For a moment his eyes were fixed primarily on Newt. One look at him brought deep despondency back to his head. He became overwhelmed with self-liability. He had allowed this innocent boy who he once held dear to be placed inside the Maze and be separated from his brother and sister.