you don't have to say I love you

"Going well so far," Jennie murmurs. "Your parents and your little sister. They think I'm a great girlfriend."

"You are," Rosie agrees.

or

The time Rosie really needed a date to a family wedding, and who better to fill the role of fake-girlfriend than Rosie's best friend Jennie?

——-

"Chaeyoung - tell me you didn't forget. I know you're a little absentminded sometimes, but you remembered, right?"

The thing is, Rosie did forget.

She doesn't say it out loud, but her mother lets out a sigh on the other end of the phone like she can sense it and Rosie winces. She flops back onto the sofa and tries to contain her own sigh as she runs a hand through her hair. Jisoo spares her a concerned look from the other couch.

"No, of course I didn't forget," she lies poorly. "How could I have?"

"You've always been a forgetful thing," her mother says, thankfully sounding more amused than upset. "Didn't one of your friends buy you that calendar for Christmas?"

Jennie got it for Rosie's birthday, actually, and it was a gag gift to cover up the real gift of The 1975 VIP passes to a concert. Rosie hated Jennie for about five minutes that day (but not really).

"You promised to be at your cousin Hyeri's wedding," her mother interrupts Rosie's thoughts. "You promised months ago."

Rosie vaguely recalls a phone conversation with her mother in a dirty club bathroom after a few shots where her mother mentioned weddings and dates. Rosie had agreed easily – Jennie was just outside and Rosie didn't want to keep her waiting.

"Right, I know that," Rosie tells her mother. She watches Lisa nearly knock Joy off a barstool and the squabble that ensues. She smiles.

"So you'll be here, right?"

Any amusement Rosie was feeling evaporates and she pulls away from the phone to groan into a pillow. Jisoo looks worried again, but Joy and Lisa roll their eyes at her.

"It's been really busy these last few weeks," Rosie begins, but halts when her mother cuts her off.

"You promised," her mother whines, sadness spotting her tone. "Hyeri is really looking forward to seeing you at her wedding."

"Alright," Rosie folds, "yeah, fine, I'll be there."

"Chaeyoung," her mother warns, sensing the hesitation in Rosie's voice.

"I'll be there!" Rosie says more firmly, her voice chipper and loud enough that Jennie finally pokes her head out of the kitchen with a confused look on her face.

Rosie's mother laughs and Rosie smiles at the sound. She really does miss her mother, if she's being honest, even if her mother can be overwhelming at times. Rosie relaxes onto the sofa, zoning out as her mother prattles on about dresses and tuxes and flowers and other things that Rosie figures must make a wedding perfect.

Lisa lands on top of Rosie, knocking the breath out of her.

"Chaeng, I'm breaking up with you," Lisa says seriously as she shoves a cookie in her mouth.

"Lis, what the fuck-"

"Chaeyoung!"

"Jisoo's cookies are better than yours will ever be – I'm leaving you for her," Lisa says, not looking put out.