CHAPTER FORTY

___

Everything is troublesome in this troublesome world. Nothing ever goes my way, even with this authority I have as the Empress, a lot of them have their methods to annoy me.

Aristocrats or nobles, I only have a few I could trust. But none to confide with. Solidarity is somehow appreciated.

I have known for sure that the hunting event would be a mess. But since my son is eager to participate, I made an exemption despite my misgivings. I've seen it as a way for those who opposes me to act out again, but I chose to ignore them for now.

What matters is that child's wish to be fulfilled.

But not only did it stress me out, it ruined my day as well. Here I thought I'd be entertained upon watching him participate in the hunting event, but those sore loser of a noble decided to wage war with me.

How amusing.

Even tending to the problem is a lost cause. They all theorized things themselves in my presence, not minding whether I do want to hear them blabbering nonsense. I silently observed them, not bothering to waste my efforts of silencing them.

I alone had suspected the missing nobles to be a charade. There is no doubt that one of my people would miss the chance of seeing the area as dangerous. Lord Aquabellium knows how to handle his job well.

And so in their dispute, I've reached a realization that some of the nobles are a part of this charade. There may have been some aristocrats, but their value is still the same in my eyes.

Lowlifes.

Their greed for wealth, power, and satisfaction from the life of luxury even exceeds mine, who is titled a tyrant. As an Empire's Empress and not crowned an Emperor, I only have the power of the Empire's Moon bestowed upon me.

Whether I tell them that this is an act of opposition against the Imperial family or not, none of these would matter to them. It will only be a fight against the ones who wants to get the throne, and us who have been the roots of the throne itself.

It is as fast as the tide from the ocean, they'll soon change sides and cling into the side where victory is evident. With the Emperor sick in bed, which is a lie, I have no one to rely nor depend on.

Which is why I need to move forward and instill fear into their minds. That way, they won't dare cross the line.

"Your majesty." Through the dull situation that lingered on me, a voice that once tried to save me yet I failed to notice suddenly echoed in my head. Putting my gaze at him, he reached the front as the nobles gave way for him.

Bowing down respectfully, he greeted me formally, a different way to how nobles and aristocrats greets me. "May I have a word about the situation?" Unlike those around me who didn't ask permission to say a single word about this incident, the crown prince himself is disciplined enough to know his boundaries.

I do hope they see the difference between respect and loyalty.