When Two Worlds Become One

There were so many people.

The top floor of the hotel buzzed with life. The venue had a dance floor in the middle, spanning dozens of feet across in every direction. The rest of the venue was lined with tables, each filled with people of high stature. Suits and fancy dresses teemed the floor, and Ahri grew bored with every person that passed by.

"How dull," Evelynn sighed, checking her long silver finger claw jewelry.

Ahri swirled her wine glass as she leaned on the tall bar table. It had no seating due to its height, but Ahri preferred it that way. Evelynn didn't want to sit since she was hosting the event tonight and would have to run around catering to the guests at some point; Ahri had no one she was interested in sitting with, so here she was. Standing and bored out of her mind while sipping wine on this luxurious summer night.

"I thought events like these would be much more entertaining."

Evelynn snorted. "When everyone finds out who you are, it just might be."

Ahri responded by flashing an excited grin at her, which Evelynn mimicked back with just as much fangs. Eve's eyes roamed around the ballroom until they settled on someone behind Ahri.

"Oh," Evelynn's golden eyes dropped their bored look. "There she is. The woman of the hour."

"Woman of the hour?"

"Everyone has their eyes peeled for her," Evelynn drawled. "She's an A-lister for tonight. Out of the entire Circle here, she's the highest."

Ahri rolled her eyes and drank more wine.

Eve's gold eyes went to Ahri. "Not curious?"

"No."

"Christ," Evelynn sighed. "You really are bored."

"Can you blame me?" Ahri responded. "Everyone here has the personality of a toothpick."

Evelynn laughed. "Careful Foxy, they might hear you. Maybe send more assassins your way because of it."

"Good," Ahri replied. "At least when I kill them I won't be bored."

"If you do, save one for me at least. You didn't let me feed last time."

"You were across the city. In the West Sector, no less. There was no way you were going to make it in time to feed off those men I killed."

"Such a waste" Evelynn hissed out in distaste. "You didn't even feed on them. I can't believe you just threw them away like that."

"It's been so long since I've had livers. I feel like I might get addicted if I go back," Ahri admitted. "Might as well stay off it."

"You still could have fed off their memories."

"And deal with the guilt? It took me centuries to make peace with the ones I have stolen already. I'm not in the mood to repeat that."

"Their soul energy then?"

"They're dead. I need them to be alive to feed off their soul like that."

"Fine," Evelynn said, but there was no bite to her tone. She knew how hard it was for Ahri to stop her primary feeding ways. She was there during Ahri's transition of her deadly feeding frenzy to a more subdued and controlled nature she has now. It was difficult, and Ahri lashed out a lot due to her sudden cut off, but Evelynn, her dearest and most loved friend, was by her side the whole time supporting her unconditionally. "I still stand by my request. Especially if there's a pretty girl involved. I want to feed, Foxy."

Ahri gave her an unimpressed look. "You're a demon. Get the feedings yourself."

Eve, hearing Ahri's deadpan tone, chuckled. "When do you plan on doing the big reveal by the way?"