Not a Total Loss (Kise X Reader)

Kise finished changing out of his basketball uniform and packing his things. He was still upset over the game that they lost against Seirin. He wiped his face off with the back of his arm and turned his head to face Yukio, who placed his hand on his shoulder. “Hey don’t beat yourself up over this, Kise. You did your job as the ace and refused to give up until the end. Besides, there will be other games for you in the long run.”

Kise nodded with a soft smile. “Yeah, I know. We were just so close to winning.”

“Yeah, but let’s put it past us for the time being. We gotta focus on future games and watch the finals and root for Seirin.” Yukio picked up his bag and started heading out the door. “Besides, I think (Name) is outside. You wouldn’t want to keep her waiting, would you?”

A grin formed on Kise’s lips when he heard her name. “Definitely not. See you in a few minutes then?”

“Yeah, just meet us at the restaurant whenever you’re ready.”

“You got it.” Kise waved at Yukio once he left and soon walked out of the stadium himself. Sure enough, (Name) was waiting there patiently for him, just like every other game and practice he had ever since they started going out. His grin widened as they met in a warm embrace. “Hey, (Name). I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.”

(Name) shook her head and smiled up at him. “You didn’t. The game was amazing too, especially when I got to watch you on the court.”

Kise rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. “So you saw that, huh? It’s too bad that we lost, though.”

(Name) took his hand and laced their fingers together. “The important thing is that you tried hard and you never gave up. Even though your leg is giving you problems, you played as though it didn’t bother you at all.”

Kise sighed softly but continued smiling at her. “So you noticed too?”

“Of course I did,” (Name) said. “I’m your girlfriend, I’m supposed to notice it.” (Name) linked her arm with Kise’s and started walking with him. “I’ll tell you what, after dinner with everyone we can get some ice cream and watch some movies before I go home. Does that sound good?”

Kise’s eyes seemed to light up at the request. “Really?”

“Yep. I’ll even make some onion gratin soup for your lunch tomorrow.”

Kise felt like jumping with excitement as he hugged (Name) tight. “You’re the best girlfriend ever. Have I ever told you that?”

“At least a million times already,” (Name) said with a playful smile. “Come on, I bet the others are probably wondering what’s taking us so long by now.”

“They’ll be fine,” Kise said as he walked hand in hand with her down the street. “You know.. Even after every game I lose, you’re always there to remind me that the games aren’t a total loss.”

“How so?” (Name) looked up at him with curiosity

“Because you remind me that we all try our best up until the very end even if we do lose. And because you’ll always be there waiting for me after the game whether we win or lose. It feels as though I’ve won at something much bigger than a game in the end.”

(Name) snickered and poked him in the side. “Kise, I never realized you were such an old man.”

Kise grumbled and puffed his cheeks out. “I am not an old man. I was trying to be sentimental and you teased me.”

“So are you a child now?” (Name) laughed and kissed his cheek. “I’m just kidding. Let’s get something to eat before you decide to get all sentimental again.”

“Fine, but I’m going to get you back for teasing me,” Kise said with a playful smirk on his face.

“Oh really? And how do you plan on doing that?”

“Like this.” Kise suddenly lifted (Name) into the air and got her onto his back while she held onto him with her arms wrapped around his neck.

“No fair!” (Name) pouted and held on tight to him so she wouldn’t fall. “Are you planning on carrying me to the restaurant like this?”

“I am now.” Kise laughed and walked down the street with (Name) on his back while ignoring the stares of other people and (Name)’s face that was now blushing like crazy from embarrassment. “At least I’m saving you the trouble of walking there.”

“People are staring at us,” (Name) grumbled and hit his back with her forehead.

“They’re just jealous.” Kise stuck his tongue out at her and continued carrying her on his back like a child with big grin on his face all the way to the restaurant.