• I •

[present day]

hongjoong stared out the hotel window at the rain, his eyes empty and sad. rainy days were always the hardest.

"joong... you need to get over him eventually. why don't you come to the bar with me tonight?" yunho tried to encourage.

hongjoong shook his head, chewing his lip.

"you know i don't like bars, yunho... why don't you ask mingi?"

"i can't... he went to see jongho."

"jongho's back?"

"his plane landed this morning... did you not see the group chat?"

"do i ever?"

yunho rolled his eyes, sitting himself in front of his hyung.

"it's been five years, hyung. five years! look at how far you've come, okay? you debuted, you're an inspiration for tons of trainees and you have juniors who list you off as the reason that they wanted to become an idol. you've made it, hongjoong. the only thing holding you back now is that you're still pining after him."

"i just wonder how he's doing, i guess... i wonder if he ever made his dreams come true."

"he graduated university last year... got a degree in business. i don't know what he's doing now, i'm not really in touch with him. but i'm sure he's doing well, hyung."

"yunho... why didn't you ever try to become an idol like jjong and myself?"

"mingi..."

"what about him?"

"i— never mind, this isn't about me."

"but, yuyu!" hongjoong whined.

"no but's! if you're not coming to the bar with me, i'm not gonna tell you."

hongjoong huffed and shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest and staring out the window again. yunho frowned when he realized hongjoong wasn't gonna budge, then walked out of the boy's hotel room.

there was another knock at the door and hongjoong sighed before muttering a "come in" to which his manager walked in.

"hongjoong! you're going to love the news i just got!"

"what is it, youngjae-hyung?"

"well, first off, you've been nominated for yet another award! next, your apartment is secure. police have arrested the sasaeng."

hongjoong shivered at the woman's mention, nodding just slightly.

"you're sure?"

"absolutely. if you'd like, you can go back tonight. if not, we'll get you checked out first thing tomorrow."

"okay... um, i'm kind of tired right now... so, i-i think i want to wait until tomorrow."

"alright. you have the first half of tomorrow off anyways. we have to get you into the studio for five though, sound good?"

"sounds good, hyung. thanks..."

"sleep well, joong."

"you too..."

hongjoong sighed as youngjae left the room, staring out at the rain again. he mindlessly traced his tattoo, chewing his lip as he began to think of the one and only park seonghwa again.

no. stop doing this to yourself kim hongjoong! he's over you, it's been five years. call yunho and see if he still wants to go to the bar.

hongjoong quickly picked up his phone and called the younger, who quickly picked up.

"change your mind, kim?"

"shut up and be at my door, ready to go in 10."

"already on my way."

god, this was going to be a long night.

_______
qotd; who is your bias in ateez?