003. coffee cake on christmas eve eve, if you want

Start from the beginning

You gulp thickly, trying to swallow the nerves twirling on your tongue.

"Try asking her out this time," Gi-Hun whispers, a comforting pat to your shoulder. "It's probably more affective than stalking her from a distance."

You send him a harsh glare, the bells above the door jingling, "Shush! She's coming!"

Bickers became mute as she walks up to the register, but telling from the way she ducks her head and chews on her bottom lip to discourage a smile, you know it's too late.

    She definitely heard you say that.

Once making it to the front-counter, she nods to you, her coffee brown orbs blazing with the enigma of unspoken words.

"Hey." She utters softly with a gravelly monotone, boring her unblinking gaze upon you, dark eyes trailing on you like a map.

You clear your throat, pretending as if your heart doesn't stop when you glance up to meet hers.

"Uh, hi." Breathlessly, you grin, massaging the lobe of your ear. "Welcome in... again, I guess... Cause you know, you're always here when I'm here so, we kinda do this a lot—"

A sharp pinch to your abdomen (from Gi-Hun) tells you to get on with it,

"What could I get for you, Coffee Cake girl ?"

She huffs a short laugh, licking her pouty lips nervously. "Um, the same is fine."

"Slice of coffee cake, coming right up." Gi-Hun smiles before disappearing into the kitchen, leaving you alone at the cash register. (With an eavesdropping Sangwoo hiding in the stock closet..)

"Perfect... $3.25 please." You ring her up as she pulls out her debit card, head buried into the computer screen.

The freckled skin girl leans across the counter slightly while sticking her card in the machine,

"You look very nice tonight."

OK, OK... be completely normal. Don't make it obvious you got ready for work today with the thought of her dancing in the back of your mind. Just play it cool, alright?

"Thanks — I-I usually try to dress up for the holidays...Even though I'm like, always swamped in school work and studying for finals and Christmas shopping and stuff — It can get really hectic and sometimes I forget to put on deodorant in the morning—"

Not alright. Before you know it, words are flying from your big mouth faster than you can process — Embarrassing ones too.

"Not that I don't wear deodorant during the holidays. I totally do! I'm wearing deodorant right now. It's just um— like I keep a travel size one in my purse now, so It's — It's all good..."

You look up at her finally, and she blinks at you. Her heads bops profusely, jarring and squinting some as she desperately tries to keep up with your rambling.

    She almost speaks, but you continue to blab before she can.

"Um, do you have any plans for the holidays?" You manage to squeak, running your fingertips along your scalp as the awkward tension shrills your bones.