I. How My Brother Ruined My Life With 7 Little Words

Start bij het begin

"What feast?"

"To celebrate the peace—"

"Don't even go on. I understand."

So now, here I sit, in a bath with steam rising from the water. My maids are back in my room, picking out an outfit for me to wear to the feast. I have a terrible headache from crying. My cat, Eva, is sauntering around the cold bathroom floor, nudging her head on my hand every time she passes.

"What are we going to do about this, Eva?" I whisper.  She responds with a soft purr and a nudge to the hand. I can always count on her council in times of need.

The only thing I can think about is a life where I'm married to a complete stranger. But I find myself wondering about Edmund. He can't be much older than me, can he? I don't know what kind of man Caspian has turned into, but I do know he is not yet a monster. He wouldn't have me marrying some old decrepit king, would he? No, he wouldn't.

That means that somewhere, maybe even in this palace is a young boy wallowing in his room about the fact that he has to marry me. I hope there is, and I hope Caspian sees how much he is hurting two of his allies.

I step out of the bath and let the cold air hit my body before wrapping a towel around myself and stepping back into my room. One of my maids rushes forward and wraps another towel around my hair, just in time for me to notice the open leather suitcase sitting on my bed, clothes piled high inside.

"Why are you packing my things?" I ask softly, almost dreading the answer. My maids look at each other hesitantly before one of them answers.

"After the wedding tomorrow, you will move into the new palace. It's being built right on the border of Narnian and Telmarine land. Didn't you know?"

"No...no one told me," I trail off, letting the women dress me in the finest silk and gemstones money can buy, pretending like don't I have to hold back tears every time they add another piece of jewelry.

I can't believe I used to love feasts. Not the dresses or royalty, I definitely didn't love hearing the cruel jokes coming from the mouthes of my drunk uncles. I just loved the food and how Caspian and I would whisper jokes to each other, laughing loudly and without care.

Well, there are still dresses and now even more royalty ever. But all my uncles died in the war, so I guess I don't need to worry about them anymore. And I definitely won't be whispering jokes to Caspian.

I'm seated next to him now, but he's chatting and laughing loudly with some dwarf and a man who's not really a man, but half goat. They already said hello to me and told me how beautiful I look and kissed my knuckles, Narnians are very kind. Normally I would talk and laugh with them alongside my brother, but not tonight.

My husband-to-be has yet to make an appearance yet, and neither have his siblings. I search all the archway entrances instead of engaging in conversation with the dull Telmarines around me. I wish I didn't hate my brother right now, I just wish I could had someone to talk to.

When the feeling becomes too much to bear, I push my seat out and stand up to excuse myself. Caspian places a soft hand on my arm, a mere facade for the two creatures he's talking to. To make it look like we  don't want to scream at each other until our throats get sore.

"Where are you going sister?" He asks sweetly, "We haven't eaten yet."

"Uh...to talk with Selene." Caspian knows that the last person in the world I would want to speak to is Selene, our vile cousin.

"Oh, enjoy yourself." He dismisses me and resumes his conversation. I down the last of my drink before walking over to Selene, the viper, who is wearing an emerald dress to put my dark blue gown to shame. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life, and the most annoying human to ever live.