Chapter 18 : When You Least Expect It

"There you are. Now what were you children doing the wardrobe?" Grandpa Digory asks, and we all glance at each other.

"You wouldn't believe us if we told you." Peter says and I remember a grand chest, and a leather bound book. The words inscribed in gold ink on the cover.

He throws the ball to Peter and Peter catches it without stumbling as Grandpa Digory looks at him with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Try me." He says.

*

It's past midnight when I slip out of bed after hearing footsteps, making my way by candle light towards the wardrobe room. I open the door and see Lucy standing in front of the open wardrobe.

"I don't think you'll get back in that
way... you see I've already tried." I tell her, and she sighs slightly.

"I know," She says, closing the door softly. "It was worth a try I suppose. Will we ever go back?" She asks after a pause, turning, and I smile, nodding.

"I expect so, probably when you least
expect it. What's to say keep your eyes
open." I say, winking and tapping my index finger on my nose.

She grins at me before we both exit the room together, hearing a roar as the wardrobe door opens, golden sunlight spilling out.

We look at each other again.

"Don't worry," Lucy says, taking my hand as we close the spare room door. "We'll go back. We just have to keep our eyes open."

*

and this, is the end.

wow, this needed so much editing. on to the next book.

if any of you want to make a cover for the books, message me, because i need covers bro. and i want to see all your cool skills!

i love you all.

lea x