𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌, protective

PROTECTIVE
A c!Dream x Reader Oneshot

SUMMARY: Dream's secret that he's been so keen on keeping is revealed without his knowledge

CONTAIN(S): gender-neutral!reader, protective!dream, in game au, fluff (1,065 words)

AUTHORS NOTE: my first c!dream fic!! i've been wanting to write for him for awhile but now here's this! enjoy!

Dream knew the power attachments and affection can hold over a person. It was the main reason he so desperately tried to void himself of any at all, including the server he once reigned over! That was until he met you at least, not that he planned to fall in-love with someone he'd lose all his lives for.

He tried to suppress it. To not believe that he loved you so he could go back to piecing that broken image of a 'perfect family' he held onto so tightly but he couldn't. The more he tried to ignore his feelings the harder it seemed to hit him at night when he laid under your roof with you curled up in his arms. He couldn't deny it any longer and so he did the next reasonable thing for his situation; isolate you from everyone else he knew.

You weren't from the Greater SMP area which was surprising considering the commute was only half an hour by boat going East from where L'Manburg once stood. There were several others who branched off into their own nations and countries that took days of travel to get to but somehow, no one has come across you and vice versa. Not that Dream was complaining.

Whenever you asked him about where he originally came from and why he ended up in your area, Dream would simply say he enjoyed travelling. Saying he never liked staying in one place for too long until he met someone who became his home. His cheesy response never failed to make you blush and he would end up changing the conversation to something else, not wanting to talk about the issues back there as he called it.

On a day to day basis, Dream would spend the mornings to himself to tend to issues that needed him but always promised to be back before sunset. During the time he was away, you would stay back and tend to your animals and farm that gave you enough produce to live. It wasn't much, considering you were the only person who resided on this area of land, but it was surely enough to give you a comfortable lifestyle while on the other hand, Dream was off living a double life as he called it in his mind.

No one seemed to suspect anything and Dream was always careful not to leave any clues as to where he lived. He didn't need anyone disturbing you in your own house, especially if the possibility of him not being there to protect you when needed being quite high. He wasn't the most liked person back there and with him gaining new enemies seemingly every visit, he was certain it was best to keep you hidden. The thought of him losing you due to his own carelessness became one of his worst nightmares and even though you comforted him about it multiple times, the lack of information he gave you only made him feel worse. But he couldn't tell you, or anyone for that matter. As long as the place you both called home would forever only be known to you two then he'd live with the guilt.

Today was no different than the other visits he paid to the area. Arriving at Technoblade's cabin out in the Antarctic Empire, careful to not leave any trails leading back to you but he almost slipped up on his cover when the pig hybrid asked if he had a house. It was an innocent question the first time he asked but when Dream took a bit too long to come up with an answer, the hybrid took it as an excuse to tease him about him. It was just an innocent question that escalated into a joke but while Technoblade came up with new jokes, Dream could only give a strained chuckle as his mind felt as though it was going to explode. He had to leave, he had to go back to make sure you were safe but he couldn't just leave right now! He just barely finished his meeting with Technoblade when he suddenly began joking about him being homeless and so all Dream could do was hope Techno would let it go and he could end this meeting.

After what felt like hours of him standing there feeling as though he would just combust from the worry, he finally stopped and Dream was finally free to go. He made sure to take the route he always did to throw off potential followers as he started the commute back and while it did add extra time to the trip, it put him at extra ease knowing even if no one knew where you were before, they still wouldn't know now.

By the time he finally reached the plot of land your house was situated on, Dream was first greeted by the happy barks of your dog who wasted no time running up to him. He barely made it halfway across the field when he was tackled to the ground by your dog.

"I don't get why he acts as if you've been gone for months." He heard your voice, causing him to redirect his attention to you where you stood just a few feet before him with a basket of vegetables in hand.

"Well maybe it's just because he likes me more." Was his reply. Your dog barked, "in confirmation" as Dream put it, shortly after causing him to cheer as you rolled your eyes.

"Well if that's the case, you can sleep with him tonight." You joked and if it weren't for the dog licking his face, he would've laid there to admire the way your face seemed to light up as you smiled.

His adoration and love for you was so obvious he was certain anyone standing a mile away could even see it and he was right. Because standing from the edge of your plot was a pig hybrid hidden by the effects of an invisibility potion. He wouldn't do anything, nor say anything for that matter, but unbeknownst to Dream, a person who could easily become his worst enemy as quick as he could be an ally now knew the only way to ever hurt him. All he could do now was hope his prayers to XD to keep the two of you safe would be fulfilled.