𝐊𝐀𝐑𝐋, familiar

"Is it worth it? Risking everything just for a chance?"

FAMILIAR
A c!Karl Jacobs x Reader Oneshot

SUMMARY: In which you time travel with Karl to save your friends but ignore the signs warning you to stop

WARNING(S): gender-neutral!reader, In game AU, flashbacks in italics (1,031 words)

AUTHORS NOTE: set right after Karl gets back from the city of mizu

Karl woke up in a cave. A dark, dimly lit cave with faint sounds of a waterfall close-by. He woke up in a cave, and he seemed to be alone though he felt as if he was forgetting something. It was a nagging reminder but he pushed that worry to the side and looked around, exhaling in relief when he noticed he was alone.

The two of you knew that time-travel was dangerous. You've heard countless warnings in the textbooks about the possibility of ending bloodlines in an instant and bringing down nations before they were even created if you were to mess something up but they didn't seem to have that much of an impact on your fascination for it. While everyone else meddled with anything but time-travel, you and Karl seemed to be the odd ones out.

You had protested the idea when Karl first came to you asking if you wanted to help him fix past mistakes. Expecting for him to be talking about the present, you were shocked to find out he had meant actually going back in time. It took him nearly two weeks to finally convince you with promises of saving the server and everyone in it that you agreed.

The only downside to the constant travelling was that it had quite an effect on your memories, not that this seemed to stop either of you though. As long as you could continue to fix the time-line, it was worth everything.

His head ached as he sat up from the ground. The bright portal behind him didn't help with his pain either as he stood up and dusted off his clothes.

I feel like I'm missing something. He thought to himself as he stared at the portal trying to think of what he could possibly be forgetting only to shrug it off a few minutes later. Surely it couldn't have been anything important.

A portal stood tall before the both of you, lighting up the dimly lit cave. From afar it looked no different from an ordinary Nether portal until you stepped closed and saw the sky blue swirls.

"Ready?" Karl asked, grinning down at you with a hand extended for you to take.

"As I'll ever be." You replied with a small smile. Taking your hand in his, he gave your hand a comforting squeeze before stepping through the portal with you in hand.

Heading down the cave until he reached a ladder, he silently thanked himself for choosing the ruins of L'manburg. The portal itself was several feet below ground and even if they did stumble upon his small hut, it was unlikely for anyone to find his office leading to the cave below.

When he finally reached the top, he was about to step off when he noticed a figure looking at the posters inside his office. Not expecting for anyone to be there, he let out a sound of surprise as he lost balance on the ladder causing for him to almost fall. Thankfully, he was able to balance himself and also catch the attention of the stranger standing before him.

The two stood there, thoughts racing through each-others heads as they tried to piece together why the other felt so familiar. Silence wrapped itself around them for what felt like hours before Karl spoke again, asking how they had ended up in his office. It was impossible for anyone to enter the office from the outside without a key and from Karl could remember, he had only made one.

"I actually don't know." They replied causing Karl to frown. "My name is (Y/N), or at least I think so. Sorry my memory isn't the best."

Silence again. Karl stood there, unsure of what to say or even do. There was a stranger in his secret office who claims to have no recollection of how they even got there. Possibly even worse, he felt like he knew them. Did they know each-other somehow?

"I think I should go." It came out more like a question but Karl could understand why they'd feel nervous. Nodding, Karl opened the door leading outside and bid the stranger goodbye. They shot him a small smile before walking out and Karl noticed how the clothes they wore seemed to be drained of colour, leaving them grey and white. It didn't look like they were supposed to be like that but Karl didn't put too much thought into it.

Turning around to head back inside, he noticed something on the ground. "Hey I think you dropped something." He called out only to be met with silence.

Crouching down to pick it up, he realized it was a compass. A small silver compass with the words 'Don't forget.' engraved on the inner side hanging on by a silver chain. Oddly enough though, the compass didn't point north like it should've but pointed towards him.

"What's this?" Karl asked as he held the silver compass in his hand. He was currently in his office, looking through the books the two of you had written when you had suddenly handed him a compass.

"A compass."

"Well I can see that," He said with a laugh. "Why do I need a compass though?"

Sitting down in the seat beside him, you pulled out an identical compass and opened both of them. The two needles didn't point north but rather, to each-other.

"So that we can always find each-other though I'm hoping our time travel doesn't mess too much with our minds." You explained, not noticing the faint blush on Karl's cheeks as you spoke.

"I doubt I'd ever be able to forget you but if it makes you feel better, I'll never take it off." He said as he pressed a kiss to your temple before putting said compass into his pocket.

Reaching into his pocket, Karl fished out a compass that was strikingly familiar to the one he had found on the ground. Closely examining it, he was surprised to find out that they were identical in every way except for the direction the needles pointed in. Instead of pointing north like most compasses would, they pointed to each-other.