31

His legs wanted to give up, but as the older girl ahead of him continued to run, gripping his arm tightly, he knew he had to continue running. His eyes scanned the forest that once felt like his own playground— right now, it seemed anything but that.

The sounds of explosion and screaming had long faded away, and the only thing he could hear was his own panting breath and the pouring rain. He felt fear, he was scared and confused, but as the girl turned to him, flashing a reassuring smile despite the unease within her eyes, he knew that he had to stay strong.

If not for him, for his sister.

Feeling his legs giving out, a gasp escaped his lips, before his knees met the cold and rocky ground. He faintly heard his sister calling his name in worry, before he felt his arm lifted, gripped by his sister once more. "We're almost there, fratellino, please hold on a little longer"

Nodding mutely, partially to hide the pain of what he knew were wounds forming on his knees, he continued to run with his sister once more, forcing back the tears pricking his eyes. And as they see the lights at the edge of the forest, he felt relief. Relief that they can stop running, relief that he knew help was just a few meters away.

Only for the hope to be burned away.

Stumbling with his sister out of the forage, both siblings headed to the familiar cabin. His sister immediately hammered on the door, her voice a plead as she called out, "Tío Matteo, please, help us! It's me, ****** !"

The door opened, and he was met with the familiar kind brown eyes and salt and pepper colored hair of a man as familiar as their parents. Seeing him, his sister immediately smiled in relief.

"******? What... What are you two doing here?" A shaking voice greeted them.

Suspicious. A familiar whisper harshly grounded against his ear. A voice that had always kept him safe. But what was there to be suspicious about his own Uncle? Despite not blood related, this man is considered as his father's own brother—

There was a flicker within those usual kind brown eyes, but the boy had acted too late. He felt something push him back, and it was too late for him to realize that it was his sister who had pushed him out of danger.

Drip.

His eyes shook as he stared at the sword piercing his sister's torso. His mouth opened and he mutedly called out her name. His eyes were drawn to the blood dripping down the glinting weapon sticking out of her. She turned to him, silver eyes hazy, but it didn't hid the love and warmth towards him.

But the moment was gone as she was flung away. And he knew— his sister was no more, killed before his very eyes.

"No! You promised you won't harm the children!"

There was a high pitch ringing.

He stared at the man that had appeared behind their Uncle Matteo. He was big, towering over all three of them, with glaring green eyes, a scar over his nose, and messy red hair that reminded him of fire. The man smirked, and at that moment, that picture was forever engraved within his mind. Much more so the glinting symbol upon the man's armor— a symbol of a snake choking an eagle.

 Much more so the glinting symbol upon the man's armor— a symbol of a snake choking an eagle