01 - Guilt

Guilt (noun)- a feeling of shame or regret as a result of bad conduct.

-

18th July 1876

     "NO! DON'T LET THEM TAKE ME! PLEASE! THEY'LL KILL ME!" Daeva screeched. Her arms squirmed as she kicked her legs trying to escape the large men on each of her arms.

They had come in the middle of the night. Breaking down the frail wooden door and ripping Daeva out of her sleep. She did not have Vladimir there to protect her, he was out in the town collecting bread for the next morning at her request.

Vladimir and Daeva had heard rumours she was being trialled for the murder of the adored Princess Alya Gray. At merely 4 years only she was found dead in her chambers, drained of her blood.

Daeva was simply a nursemaid who had to use the bathroom while looking after the young princess. When she returned, she was the first to find Princess Alya dead. In fear of prosecution, she fled.

But she now realises she was too slow. They had found her at her weakest point and used that to their advantage.

As Vladimir arrived home, he heard the distant scream of Daeva and saw the dust clouds of horses painted over by the dark night glow.

He had no idea what was about to happen to her, and he had no idea how he got caught.

-

Days later he had lost her.

Vladimir's one true love, dead.

Queen Callidora and King Hakin Gray had slaughtered her in front of his own eyes.

She was found guilty of first-degree murder and was put to death in the middle of town for all to see.

She was lost in the crossfire of Vladimir's reckless hands. The moment she died, he felt sick to his stomach. He did this to her for his own purposes, for his benefit. But her life was lost in the process.

As if guilt was the dance partner of greed in the grand theatre of emotional indifference, he was the sole actor.

From then on Vladimir had an embedded hatred towards the Gray family, even greater than before.

He visited her grave every day promising to continue his plan, to ensure she did not die in vain, promising to overthrow the Gray's.

He was outnumbered and outpowered. But he knew that already.

He had spent years, trying to figure out a way to possess the enchanter gene without being born into the bloodline.

And a few months before Daevas death he had found the answer. Instead of being born with the gene, he would just take it.

So, when Daeva left for work one day he decided to follow along. Waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Attacking the youngest, weakest, most defenceless member of the family and draining her of her royal blood.

He had studied the ritual over and over again; he knew the consequences and the sacrifices it took for such dangerous acts. But he had no idea the love of his life would be blamed for his crimes and lost before the battle even started.