58| unpleasant truths

Zacznij od początku

"You idolise your father blindly, without ever considering the other side to him."

"What other side?" I demanded, raising my sword as Maeglor continued to walk.

The dark-haired elf stopped at the point of my sword, his steely eyes boring deep into mine.

"A side of dishonesty," he spat, "of lust and perversion that sits beneath his façade of self-righteousness."

I furrowed my brows, the hatred boiling behind his eyes a stark contrast to the usual void of emotionlessness. My sword lowered as confusion overtook all other thoughts in my mind. I felt him walk behind me, his voice ice cold as he circled me.

"A side that ensnared my mother in your father's twisted web."

"What...what are you talking about?" I asked, turning my head towards him as he reappeared from behind me.

An exasperated sigh escaped from Maeglor as he rolled his eyes, turning away.

"Must I spell it out for you?" He asked as he whipped back around to face me, frustrated. He gestured with his hands emphatically.

"Your father had an affair with my mother."

My eyes widened as his words reached my ears.

My blood ran cold and my jaw was left slightly agape as my mind struggled to process what Maeglor just said. No words formed on my tongue. All I could do was shake my head.

"That's right," Maeglor confirmed, "this was while your mother was still alive, struggling to hold onto life as she died from the plague."

I felt my stomach twist as my mouth ran dry. This couldn't be. I shook my head, unable to even consider the possibility that what he was saying was the truth. Because there was no way it was real.

"No...." I insisted as I continued to shake my head. "This is all you know: you lie to mislead and manipulate people. You're lying to me."

"I wish that I was." Maeglor quietly replied as he stood before me. "Then, I wouldn't be here, would I?"

For the first time in centuries I detected a hint of sincerity in his eyes. I felt a slight tear in my heart at the realisation.

But I shook the feeling from my mind.

No. This was all a game. A scheme. He was playing a role, nothing more. My father would never have committed such unspeakable acts.

After all, this wasn't the first time Maeglor had manipulated my emotions just to get what he wanted. And I would never make the same mistake again as I did four hundred and sixty four years ago.

"I don't believe you." I muttered, my voice low as I stood to my feet. "I shouldn't have come here."

"You just refuse to accept any sort of change to your pre-existing beliefs." Maeglor accused, crossing his arms.

"Because they're nothing but lies." I shot back, taking a step towards Maeglor, who didn't budge.

Anger flared within the pit of my stomach.

"It's not even possible for the Eldar to love more than one being. So if you're trying to manipulate me, at least do your research."

Maeglor only stared back, a look of bitterness flooding into his eyes.

"Do not confuse love with desire, Elle." He uttered slowly. "I speak from personal experience. After all, I have been confusing those two all my life."

Observing my shocked state of silence, he continued, taking another step closer to me.

"Your father did not love my mother. But he desired her. He craved her touch." He glanced down. "Especially given the...broken state of your mother."