Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

It was finally Monday, and that meant it was finally the time for Skylar to commence her internship at Ian's law firm and officially move into her new apartment. It was the first time she felt like an adult. She had a "job" and was living on her own. It was a taste of what life after law school would be, take away the classes.

She had her things packed, most of it being clothes and books, all stuffed in her car ready to be transported to Burlingame. Skylar would miss Sarah. Even though she had been pretty hostile at first, eventually Sarah started warming up to her. Sarah has even expressed that she would miss her. That really warmed Skylar's heart.

She attended her classes of the day, making sure to focus on her classes and not be distracted by thoughts of what had happened between her and Jason. To say the least, she was very embarrassed. She'd referred to Jason as Ian in the middle of pretty hot make out session that she had actually been enjoying, take away the fact that she was imagining someone else.

Eventually, she would have to face Jason again. She didn't really know how to face him, though. What was she supposed to say? "Oh, sorry for calling you by someone's name!" That just wouldn't cut it. Jason had kissed her because he was attracted to her, and she hurt his feelings. She was inevitably attracted to a man that was off-limits to her. Great. Just great.

Micah, the other intern, approached her during their first class together. He had on a smirk and eyes that glinted with something not so nice.

"Hello, Skylar," he said. "I heard you're the other intern."

"That's right," Skylar said, not really paying attention to him.

"I can give you a ride to work if you want," he said.

"Uh, thanks, but no," she said. "I have my own ride." The car Ian had so graciously bought her.

"Oh," he said. "Alright then. See you later."

Finally, it was time for lunch. Skylar met up with Sarah and they headed to an on-campus restaurant. At least she wasn't eating by herself anymore.

"Are you excited?" Sarah asked. "Today is your big day."

"I am," Skylar admitted. "But I'm kind of nervous."

"Oh, come on," Sarah said. "You seem to really get along with Ian. I'm pretty sure he'll go easy on you."

But she didn't want Ian to go easy on her. She wanted Ian to treat her just how he would treat any other employee, and if that was strict and demanding, so be it. She already felt like Ian was being a too generous to her in the first place.

It was when she was exiting the restaurant that she saw Jason.

She was about to make her escape, but then he called out to her and she had no excuse but to stay.

Sarah didn't seem to see anything strange and just said, "I'll see you later, Sky." And she walked away, leaving Skylar and Jason alone.

"Hey," he said, looking down at her with a small smile.

"Hi," she said, also smiling, and trying to hide her embarrassment.

"You ran off the other night," he pointed out.

Skylar gulped and looked down. "Uh, yeah. I'm sorry about that."

They looked at each other for a few seconds, not either one of them saying a single word. Finally, Jason spoke.

"You don't have to be embarrassed," he said. "I get it. Bad timing."

"I'm so sorry," she said.

He shrugged. "If you're into someone else, it's alright, Skylar. I can't blame you for that. I kissed you first, remember? I took the risk of rejection."