Come home - Part 2 - Arthur x Reader

Start from the beginning

"What does it matter. You're just like everyone else. Just like Randall, Hoyt. Like everyone else that has ever thought that they have the right to use me as their own personal punching bag. So, your opinion no longer means anything to me. I do not care what you think." Arthur replied sarcastically, even though he hadn't meant to. In truth, he wanted to fall to his knees in front of her and hold her. But he was angry. Hurt. And he wanted (Y/n) to hurt too. Even though, as his reddened eyes did their best to focus on the woman in front from him, Arthur couldn't help but think that (Y/n) had never looked more beautiful.

"Yeah. I had a feeling that you might say that. You know something, and I never thought that I would say this to you of all people, but sometimes you can be really quite horrible, Arthur. You tar everyone with the same brush. That it is inevitable that everyone will treat you badly. And I know that you do that, so you don't get hurt. But I hate to burst your bubble Arthur, but whether you like it or not. Whether you believe it or not. There are people out there that love you. There are people that don't want you to harm yourself. That want you to be healthy and happy. And I am one of them.........."

"Yes. But you left me.................."

"I left you, because I love you. Because I need you more than I have needed anyone in my life. And it hurt that it seemed that you didn't give a damn about me. For you not to see that it was killing me, that you seemed to feel nothing. That you repaid my love with silence. With keeping me at arm's length, and never treating me as if I was yours. I can count on the fingers of one hand, how many times you actually made me feel like you care. And what's worse is that I can't say the same about you touching me. Because it was like I was a leper. That if you even so much as lay a finger on me. Kissed me. Held me. That you would catch something terrible. And I cannot begin to tell you what that did to me. How it was destroying me. Because all I ever wanted to do was give myself to you, body and soul. So, for my own sake, I had to leave. I had to get some space. To evaluate what we had. And believe me, it would have been easier for me to just forget about you. To pretend that you don't even exist. But I couldn't. I realised that no matter what, I would always love you, even if it killed me. Yet, if my opinion doesn't matter to you. If you really do think that I don't care, and I am just like everyone else, then perhaps I should just leave again. Perhaps I should just go and let you descend into whatever fresh hell this is. Because it would be easier, than having to admit that you deserve to be loved. That you deserve to be happy and have someone with you. Look, I don't care if you don't love me, Arthur. I am doing my best to come to terms with it. But for Gary's sake. And mostly for yourself. Please, please don't keep falling into that hole. Because if you do, eventually you just might find that there is no way back. So, for the love of God, just take your medication." (Y/n) sniffed, as she fought back the tears. As she got to her feet and leant over a stunned Arthur. Placing a gentle kiss to his cheek.

"I love you Arthur Fleck. I always will." (Y/n) added, as she turned to make her way back to the door.

"NO!" Arthur exclaimed, as he jumped up and raced over to her. Falling to his knees before her and wrapping his arms around her waist. Burying his head into her stomach.

"No........stay. You must stay. Come home, please. Come back to me." Arthur managed to say. Emotion evident in his shaky tone. (Y/n) able to feel the tears that were rolling down his cheeks, as they soaked through her shirt.

"I........I need you, (Y/n). I can't think without you. I can't do anything without you. I needed to think. To figure out what to do. How I could get you to come back to me. So, I ............I.........I know I shouldn't. That its only made things worse, but I did stop taking my meds. Then I realised that despite how much I loved you, I didn't know how to show it. I was scared of doing something wrong. Saying something wrong. Scared of hurting you. So, I pushed you away. Then I began to no longer care. To think that it would be better to be dead than spend another day without you. Because.........because I love you, (Y/n)." Arthur confessed. (Y/n) no longer able to hold back the tears. Her knees giving way, as she joined him on the floor. Arthur letting out a sigh of relief, as (Y/n) pulled him close. As she brushed her fingers through his dirty, unkempt dark curls.

"Well, if you put it that way." (Y/n) chuckled through her tears, as she felt Arthur's grip on her get tighter.

"How could a girl refuse. But you have to promise me a few things." (Y/n) added, as she placed a soft kiss to Arthur's forehead. His head slowly moving up so that he could look into her beautiful eyes.

"Anything. Anything you want. Just name it............"

"Well, you have to promise to eat properly. And you have to make sure that your dirty clothes go in the laundry basket and not the floor. And you have to promise to clean up whatever is causing that atrocious smell." (Y/n) began, as she placed her hand on Arthur's cheek. The clown nodding his head in agreement to all her demands.

"But most of all, you have to promise me that you will always take your medication. No matter what. That you let me show you what it is to be loved, so that you can love me in return. That you will let me in and not give a damn about what anyone else may think. And you have to tell me at least once a day that you love me. Just so that I never forget." (Y/n) concluded, as she smiled down at Arthur. As he reached up and placed his own hand on her cheek.

"I promise." Arthur replied softly, as his fingers found her hair, the clown pulling (Y/n) in for a kiss. Neither of them seeing Gary as he poked his head around the door. A small smile coming to his lips, as he realised that (Y/n) was coming home. And so was Arthur.