Masquerade of Ladies

"For the love of lords! Mother you can't be serious" Annabeth exclaimed. "Sweetheart you are about to be eighteen and the season will be upon you not soon after. you will be a part of the year's Raise" the familiar stern voice of her mother only made her anger rise. "I am Not putting on that hideous thing I simply refuse". Turning her nose up at the embroidery laid Infront of her. "It took months for lady Penelope to make this dress and you may never admit to it but that sign of hers never did return now did it." a look of prideful disapproval crossed her mothers face. "Mother for the last time, a lady such as I would never dream of doing such an ingenious act as to steal from another." Her mother was not convinced, "if you're going to lie try not to be so dramatic". "A lie", Annabeth gasped, "I wouldn't dread such a– Nope yes I hear it, your right that was a bit over exaggerated on my part" "God you are your father's daughter" her mother said as they shared a laugh with that thought. "Alright, your birthday is tomorrow and there will be a party. You are the daughter of a Duke Afterall, and I expect you to be on your best behaviour. You can have your fun with the rascal of a boy you hang around with after the party", she paused to hear her daughter's objection but none came, "or until the adults are drunk enough to forget it ever happened." Annabeth let out a breathless laugh but her distaste toward tomorrow evening remained. Her mother walked closer towards her and embraced her in a hug. Pulling away while still holding on, her mother tried to comfort her, "I know this is not your desired evening but please try for your father and I. It is important after all." With a nod of her head Annabeth agreed to her mother's words. "Well breakfast is ready so come down soon" her mother pulled away from her and headed out the mess her daughter called a room.

Annabeth threw the fabric off her bed and onto the floor. falling into a huff on her bed as she accepted her fate that would ensue tomorrow evening. She gazed at the canopy above her, it reminded her of the night sky. And the fabric of her comforter on the stone path just outside her window. The pale blue of the antiques walls connects to the oak floor which was covered by a sea of trash. A pebble striking the window disrupts Annabeth from her thoughts.

      Sliding on the left side of her bed she made her way toward the window that overlooked her beloved maze and a sea of green. Another pebble struck the window as her gaze shifted to a tall brunette with a wide goofy grin, she loves all too well. She opens the window, "I'll be down in a moment". "Nice to see you too," the boy shouted. She stuck her tongue out at him and slammed the window shut.

She went down the first set of oak stairs to the second floor of the grand staircase. She then slid down the banister toward the first floor. Landing barefoot on the cool marble floor that mimicked the first snowfall of winter. She turned to the right entering the drawing room which was bright and open with the same snow floor spread across the house with matching walls. in hope of avoiding her father, she made her way into the large kitchen bustling with staff members. She grabbed two apples off the counter as she ogles the food being made in preparation for tomorrow's event. As she made her way out of the kitchen back toward the drawing room. A larger figure stepped in front of her.

"and where are you off so early in the morning you usually sleep till the afternoon." her face had a light grimace, "Well, if you must know father this might very well be my last day of freedom and I intend to spend it how I see fit." "Well then shall I expect you home for dinner" pausing awaiting her response. "yes, of course father" she nodded. "good because I invited the Partridge's over for tonight's dinner", he gave her a knowing look but what was she to know. "But since you're up, Come. breakfast has just been severed" as he motioned toward the direction of the dining room. "but-" her thoughts went to William waiting for her outside. "tell William to join us I already asked them to set him a place." "But how did you-", she ponders the probability of her father seeing William sneak through the maze to her window. It was fool proof. "Observance My dear." He stated. She rolled her eyes and made her way back to the main entrance towards a large white double door with flecks that looked as if gold rain had fallen upon them. She opened the door and made her way around the house following the stone path admiring the blue rose bushes lining the front of the modern home.