| 8 | not easy on the eyes

I'm not interested in being easy on the eyes,
I want them to flinch, think twice before they reach out their callous hands to brush. I want to be a constant reminder to men that not everything is theirs for the taking.
- Unknown

-----❅-----

- Victorine -

- Victorine -

-----❅-----

We flew for hours. I noticed that we did not fly exactly to the direction where it was best to cross the river in order to stay in flight line as much as possible and not lose time, even though I had plotted the point to Nicolas. Apparently he had a different plan.

The sun was hot and unmerciful in the cloudless sky. I was sweating under my armor and helmet, yet I did not want to undress. This way I was protected from a sudden attack and sunburn. The others did the same. Only Orestes had taken off his helmet and was grinning good-humoredly. Stupid idiot.

Except for a few breaks that I used to relieve myself in the woods, I had no choice but to sit, sweat and look around. At those times, it was always hard not to think about my loss and worry for Crescentia.

You can't run away from grief and fear. Never could I have left them in Spero. They accompanied me since the first step of my journey and would accompany me until the very end. My grief even until the end of my life.

After an eternity, I saw a small kingdom in the distance, towards which we were heading. An uneasy feeling came over me and I blinked over at Nicolas. I had not received a warm welcome in the last kingdom.

When we landed at the village gates, I immediately unpacked my map. Nicolas strolled past me and pointed out the spot we were at as we passed. "Kingdom of Gloria." It was so small or new that it wasn't on the map.

Finally, we took our luggage and watched as the dragons flew in the direction of the woods. Deidamia and I took our time saying goodbye, although it made the others impatient.

Nicolas led the way. Since he hadn't taken off his helmet, we didn't either, which caused an alarming feeling in me. The village was small and the people lived in poor conditions. Most of them seemed to be hiding from us. Arriving at the castle wall, Nicolas was talking with two castle guards. I saw that some parts of the building were under reconstruction or expansion.

The gates of the castle were opened to us and we entered the entrance hall.

"King Nicolas Talesin Artemas of Cadwallader," spoke a thick-set man as he descended the steps toward us. "What do you think of my choice of marble flooring? It was the most brilliant material that could have been found." As the man stepped closer I saw his greasy hair, round face and matching nose. He was also quite short, though he wore heeled shoes.

Nicolas took off his helmet, whereupon we did the same. "King Archelaus Wolstan Tresillian of Melancthon," he said in his always deep, firm voice. "We seek a night in your abode and a supper so that I may discuss a scheme with you." As expected, he wasted no time in responding to the other king's ridiculous question regarding his ground.