highway to hell (bnha)

i miss this book so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its of course not my best work but i love raia so much...... and i always liked the idea of fleshing out her backstory and what she'd do in the canon shows plot (but ik im never gonna write a full fic for her so i will settle for one shots </3)

SPOILER WARNING FOR MANGA!!!: no one really reads these one shots so I'm not worried about it, but just in case this contains heavy spoilers for the mha manga (or has it been in the anime already???? idk i don't think so). im also not sure if this is actually canon to raias story but it was a fun idea

HIGHWAY TO HELL.
raia shimazu wishes her father hadn't been such a selfish man after her mom left.

Raia knew she wanted to be an underground hero, that much was clear to her. Her quirk was perfect for it, and while she liked trying new things that didn't mean she wanted to spend her whole life in the eye of the public like Katsuki. Becoming an underground hero was a constant that stayed with her always, even when her costume and skills changed. She went as far as to make that fact clear to her teachers, who so often met kids that wished to be in the Top 10. 

 When her mom had first left her for a new life, Raia's dad had been adamant about becoming a hero and letting the whole world know her name. That way maybe her mom would be proud of the daughter he rose and come back to him. Those pleas were before she even knew she wanted to be a hero of any sort. It was an old and dead wish of her father's, and not even brought up again when she begrudgingly presented him with her UA paperwork. 

She wished it had stayed like that. With him not giving a single damn about her, or what she did, or who she did it with. 

She had seen him jealous before when she was just a child. She remembers him seething with a green rage when he found her mom gone that morning. She remembers him hunching over the toilet some days after their shitty dinners, bile slipping out at the mere thought of his wife with some other man. A younger man, a prettier man... a man that maybe even treated her better. 

This jealousy was different though. Raia thought it was a new type of jealousy, as she shoved the manilla folder into her scraped hands, but now she realizes that perhaps it had always been there. She thought it had always been disdain or maybe regret he looked at her with, but only now does she think that maybe it's such violent jealousy that his eyes glint with every day. 

Raia takes back what she thought earlier, back at home when she found out. Her dad didn't suddenly start giving a damn about her. He still doesn't and probably never will. He hadn't bolted from his spot on the couch when she walked through the door to make sure she was alright, he had done it because he was selfish.

He couldn't keep the one secret her mom had asked of him, and so he decided he would ruin it for everybody. 

Mina knew that there was something wrong with Raia as the two girls rode the train to school together. The black-haired girl was practically shivering in her shoes, and Mina thought she could hear her heartbeat from here. When she had asked though, Raia had only shrugged. She didn't know if she could do much more with the weight of the folder in her school bag. 

Katsuki had been more explosive trying to get an answer out of her, which only resulted in her accidentally smacking him with a tendril. She hadn't even felt the things come out, it wasn't her fault. 

She just couldn't help it, with the way her bones shook underneath her tensed muscles and the way her heart hammered away at her ribcage. She knew what adrenaline felt like, and she quite liked it. It had become her partner over the years, but right now she just wanted it to go away. She didn't feel right. She felt like she was going to barf. 

Luckily, Aizawa recognized the look on her face when she stopped in front of the podium. Class wasn't starting for another few minutes but he had some final preparations to do (no matter how much he wanted to sleep). He found himself glad for the extra work as Raia stood quivering before him, her face paler than he thought possible. Sero stood from his desk in worry after catching sight of her, but a swift glare from the pro let him know to mind his business for now. 

"Something the matter, Shimazu?"

Raia logically knew it couldn't be true. She had looked up the name for herself, and saw the articles. She dug even deeper for his obituary. But his name was there, letter for letter on her birth certificate. At least, on the one that had been hidden from the world. She didn't want this to be true, but her dad didn't care enough about her to pull a prank either.

Maybe she shouldn't be doing this in front of nearly the whole class, especially not when a good chunk of them was watching her curiously as she shakily pulled the manila folder out from her bag. She didn't think she could wait for answers though, and she didn't know how long she would have to wait to catch her homeroom teacher alone. He was the only one she trusted to go to with this kind of information. 

"M-Mr. Aizawa?" Raia wanted to slap herself. Never before had she sounded so weak. She couldn't even pick out a time in her life where she had ever stuttered. 

Eraserhead glanced down to the folder, dirtied and torn with age. Or maybe because it had been thrown about carelessly. She held it out to him with a tight grip and wanting to relieve some of her anxiety he took it swiftly. When he looked back up at her, he froze at the sight of mist and tendrils slinking from her back. What caught him more off guard were the tears that bubbled over, out of one of his bravest students. 

Despite this, she pointed to the folder and nodded. 

He really wished he hadn't opened it. He didn't want to hurl in front of his students today.

"Mr. Aizawa, w-what do you know about Oboro Shirakumo?"